Pre-owned 550s | FerrariChat

Pre-owned 550s

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Wildwarrior, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I am considering adding a pre-owned 550 and keeping my 94-512 as my week end warrior.Is their a year to look out for,milage ect.Any info would be appreciated. Thanx! Glen

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    definitely check the archives (this board and the old board).

aside from one problem they cleared up during CY 1998 (which escapes me now - sorry) the cars are basically the same.

obviously make sure all recalls have been addressed, and make sure all TSBs have been looked at (eg: engine mounts).

you won't regret it!

doody.

PS: i'm thinking of adding a 512TR to the stable next year. it's a small world :)

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doody,

The Daytona calls ....

--Dan

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Good choice, you won't regret it. It has gone down for the price and you can get the best value for the car,

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Hi Glen,
    Great choice, great car. A real tiger, beautiful animal, sweet at times, but wild if you tickle too much ...
    I've been through a long, but finally conclusive quest for a good 550, seen lots of cars which were in questionnable condition. I've come to conclude that the 'average' 550 owner is a bit more careless than V8 owners, translates into
    - frequent sloppy maintenance history
    - damaged alloy rims
    - chipped paint on door edges
    - poorly maintained leather, cracked driver seat side cushions
    The 2nd gear synchro can suffer if brutalized when oil is cold. Check for wheel bearings noise as well as warped discs by doing a high speed breaking from 100mph+ down to low speed (no vibration must be felt).

Would suggest ... washing the car to check for window seal water leakage. Check as well that the windows slide in nicely into the seals.
    Front bumper and black spoliler lips on most cars suffers from stone chips, unavoidable, you may just want to throw a paint refresh in the deal.

Following my own experience, still under investigation (search the forum for 'klonk'), I'd recommend checking that the car does not creep sideways when turning at low speed at max steering angle.

Good luck and enjoy ...