Rear axle: LSD or not? | FerrariChat

Rear axle: LSD or not?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Froggie, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I have been investigating unsuccessfully to know if the vintage V8 Masers using a rigid Salisbury rear axle, (QP1, Ghibli1, Indy, Mexico) were equipped with a LSD.
    It seems that the Ghibli's were fitted with one while the Indy's were not (or maybe as an option only).
    Anybody can bring some light on this?
    Also would a LSD retrofitting on a 4900 Indy be eventually possible and do you think that would be worth?

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    My late Ghibli SS does NOT have a limited-slip.

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    So it would seem that it was an option on the Ghibli also...
    I have looked in the Spare Parts manual of the Indy and in the picture here under the optional LSD is figured out as the group number 31:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Froggie: I am not sure the LSD was actually an "option", especially near the end of the Ghibli run. The Company was in such dire financial straits, that I suspect they were saving funds any way they could. Why pay for LSD units if you do not have to, and most customers would never know the difference.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Stay away from LSD.......

6. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    At least it was an option on a Maserati 3500 GT.

In my built sheet is listed "Autobloccante", which is the italian description for limited slip differential.

And I am sure, that every Salisbury axle can be converted, but it costs a lot of money.

7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Interesting.
    Have you ever experienced its presence, say on slippy turns?

8. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    Not yet tested, still under restoration.

But some friends of mine with similar cars are quite happy with it, if you drive sportier.

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    To update this thread and for the record:
    I had to replace my diff because of broken and loose attachment bolts between crown and carrier.
    I was fortunate enough to source a Jaguar/Salisbury LSD that had been reconditioned, for only 350 EUR, it was a good deal.
    See the story there:

It was fitted like a charm, actually I believe it is exactly the same diff that was offered as an option for the Maser GT's of that period.
    See here the original open diff and the Jaguar LSD with the crown already bolted on but without bearings yet:

Now just to be driven when the restoration is completed

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The Bora has an LSD... the clutch style I believe.. and I've felt it on strong turns...
    If the Bora even counts in this discussion...?

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jack up spin tire and that will tell you

12. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Yes indeed, and it is of the clutch style.
    Though it seems to be a different model with a different assembly of clutches/plates compared to the Jaguar/Salisbury model mounted as an option on Indy's or Ghibli's and as standard on the Khamsin.
    Here are the exploded views in the parts manuals.

For the Khamsin:

And for the Bora:

How is it tuned in the Bora, or said differently how does it behave in terms of understeer/oversteer on turns during braking and during acceleration?

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I can't separate how the Bora LSD affects the handling dynamics as an individual part of the whole suspension design.. but the LSD makes itself known when launching the Bora from a stand-still while making a turn. As you can imagine, that causes one of the rear tires to "Chirp!".. and it wants to understeer. I've never sensed the LSD during any kind of braking.