Richie Ginther book | FerrariChat

Richie Ginther book

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Richard Jenkins, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richard Jenkins

Jun 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Jenkins
    I've been directed here by a few people as I have been told people will be able to help:

I have been commissioned to write a biography on Richie Ginther, with the aim to complete in November this year to publish in February 2020.

This, initially, was on the strength of photos and memories from his second wife, Cleo but things, as they often do, developed to such a degree that now we're going ahead with the full biography.

If anyone has suggestions, feedback, stories, resources or anything else at all that they feel could be of use, then please either email me at [email protected]

I will also want to try and explore - albeit in not too much detail (as I don't want to get too bogged down covering what other people have done well already) - the politics and situations that led to both Richie being hired at Ferrari and then him leaving; and in particular, Eugenio Dragoni.

What would be of massive help the most at this moment is if anyone can help with usage of photos of anything RG related or maybe even Dragoni, thinking about it.

Any queries, head them my way and I'll do my best to meet as many people's expectations as I can.

In due course, I'll advise more about how to get the book etc. etc. but that's for later in the year/early 2020.

Many Thanks,
    Richard Jenkins

Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I wish you good luck in this undertaking. Ginther was part of an influx of Americans to Ferrari. You may want to try making contact with Lou Chinetti as his father was the conduit for these people getting the attention of Enzo.

Dragoni was known to have a rabid preference for Italian rivers.

Richard Jenkins likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Richard,

Good to see you here. I hope you will find support and assistance on this site.

All the best,

Jack

4. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Richard,

Check with the late Ron Kellogg's estate. He owned the two leather bound photo albums Rickie's first wife compiled throughout his Ferrari days... Including news clippings, programs, and lots of B&W photos...

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Absolute gold...

6. Richard Jenkins

Jun 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Jenkins
    Cheers Chuck.

It's with Ron's grandson Shaun but I don't have a contact for him; anybody know any different?

7. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    How the heck do you edit you posts on this forum?
    I'm the moderator of the Early 911S Registry message board and our edit option is pretty obvious...

BTW - My friend lived across the street from Richie in the '70's in Granada Hills. Richie evited him into his study and there was all of his trophies, the photo albums, large scale Honda F1 model, and Honda presentation miniature Samurai sword and helmet...
    The first time I saw this stuff was about the mid or late '80's at the Auto Lit Fair in the Pasadena City Collage parking lot. A guy had a van parked (head out) and all he had on the van was a sign that read Richie Ginther stuff around back. When I went back to rear doors there was the same stuff my friend had seen years ago... except not in good shape. The guy said he was working for the ex-wife and the estate... I thought it was a bit sketchy. The trophies were thrown in a big cardboard box, in a hundred pieces... sad. The sword and helmet was there as well. He wanted $5k for everything... back in the '80's this was optimistic... I passed.
    The next time I saw the stuff was at Ron Kellogg's place for a 'Thursday Car Night' … I believe all that Ron had was some certificates, framed photos, and the leather albums. When I asked Ron about the big F1 model and the little presentation sword and helmet, he said he never knew about those items...

… and so it goes

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I had those albums for a short while. I think I must have sold them to Ron. I was surprised to hear of his passing; I didn't know. Sonya still with us? There was a time when Richie must have run out of $$$; I seem to remember that he was living then at some beach in Baja Cal (Rosarito?)

of2worlds likes this.