San Jose GP (which grandstand for FCA) | FerrariChat

San Jose GP (which grandstand for FCA)

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by spidey, May 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidey

spidey Karting

I want to get tickets for the race .

Which grandstand is everyone's favourite for FCA group.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am so confused by the website. Why do I need to buy tickets for 3 days? Is the main event on Sunday? I really do not need to watch "drifting" teenagers. The track map is illegible, even zoomed in. There is no info about taking the Caltrain to the event, either.
    Perhaps I can get in on a hospitality suite through the club or some firm? It does include the Paddock Club Hostess !!!

3. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    I just don't know the SJ streets to guess which stand would have the best view. Being close to hospitality would be nice too though. I figured the bay area Fchatters would have something swank all set up already!

Luke - do you know the area well enough to recommend something?

I couldn't figure out what the deal was using the site either.

4. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    I have talked with the people handling the group tickets for the race.

If I understand it correctly, most of the FCA members who have already purchased tickets are seated in the Gold Grandstand seats. There is a block set aside there for the FCA club.

There is, however, an option to purchase the Silver Grandstand seats, but at the time I talked with the tickets people nobody from FCA had chosen those seats.

Mark

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The idea is that if the FCA buys the most seats as a group, they get the best seats within the grandstand and a parking corral (why take Caltrain when you can drive your Maserati?). In order to get decent reserved seating, you have to buy tickets to all three days. That's standard for every race I have been to. Having been to a number of these events, I have to say I enjoyed Friday the most. No crowds and better access to personally interract with drivers, mechanics, celebrities, etc. All of the different types of cars are on the track all three days for qualifying, testing, etc. The paddock and pits are amazing. The race itself is just the cherry on top of a huge Farrell's Zoo (if you remember those).

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Luke, I can't help with the grandstand questions, but living very near downtown, I can give some input re: Caltrain.

The Caltrain station is called "San Jose Diridon" - it's essentially across the street from HP Pavillion in downtown SJ. From there, it is a mile (at best) walk to the circuit, depending on where the entrance gate is located. Although taking the train from SJ to SF and back for Giants games is convenient, the return trip can be a drag - it's late, lots of stops, etc. I often regret not having driven. Taking the train from SJ up to San Carlos after the race, on the other hand, will probably be a not-too-bad way to go.