So now the engine's comming out. | FerrariChat

So now the engine's comming out.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robert Johnson, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Karting

Dec 8, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    Time to change the clutch. OK no big deal. The gasket on the case cover behind the flywheel is leaking some gear oil too. The parts guy I deal with, who is well known to many of us, suggests that the gasket be changed to prevent a leak after the clutch is changed. Makes sense because the studs for the bellhousing go through this case also and it's already leaking a little. What I didn't know was that the engine has to be removed to get the case off and change the gasket. So now the engine's comming out. The good news is that now the engine bay will get a proper detail, the oil leak will be gone and I can finally clean the front of the engine. So the 411 here is that unless the leak is more than you can tolerate, be very careful not to break the seal on this gasket when you remove the bellhousing for clutch service.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You mean that very large gasket behind the plate ...? well, the engine does have to come out for that. Otherwise the plate would never clear the tranny input shaft that is sticking way out there.

3. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    The rear main cover can come off in the car. This gasket is not normally affected by clutch changes, as there are additional nuts holding the cover in place (unless you pryed on the wrong cover or the nuts are missing). Unless you're determined to remove the engine, you don't have to.

4. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Karting

Dec 8, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    yelcab - That's the one.

ricrain - You're 100% right. In my case the gasket was leaking before I started. I just did'nt expect to have to remove the engine to change it and wanted others to beware not to disturb the case nuts when the flywheel is off.