Texas 348... | FerrariChat

Texas 348...

Discussion in '348/355' started by CMartin348, Mar 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
  2. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Don't know the car but it looks pretty.

Front grille is obviously repainted (not crazy about that one), but I also caught some overspray in the doorjamb, so I'd definitely do my homework. I'd honestly rather see a car with minor bodywork that was maintained, than one covered in road rash and dings, but that's just me.

Also looks like aftermarket exhaust, maybe new shocks (looks like they were removed).

Go see it, by all means and give us a report! :)

3. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
  4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Not a particularly 'great' deal IMHO. The car looks nice, says it has been serviced recently and includes an aftermarket exhaust. Otherwise it is a high mileage 348. I would think the value is somewhere around $43k.
    BT

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Contact Lamborghini of Houston for a PPI. A friend of mine bought a 348 a couple of weeks ago without a PPI & the car has been undergoing various repairs at Norwoods. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon.

6. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    Yeah, it has Tubi exhaust. I'm not crazy about the front grille, I agree with the rest of your post. :) I will be heading down there around April 3rd for business, may get a PPI done now just to make sure I'm not missing a good car.

Yeah, I haven't been here long but I have seen and learned never to buy a Ferrari without a PPI. Thanks.

Found another one in Dallas where I will mainly be but it has the black lower bumpers and that's really a turn off for me. Is there a way to get those to original paint color?

Otherwise I am looking for a Red/Tan TS or Spider, I would like Tubi but I can always add that after.

Thanks for all your help.

7. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    This is the one I talked about in the above post that I found in Texas. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_51_%7cD-_1406_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-20148&aff=national&paId=261810608&recnum=37&leadExists=true

I have one question about high miles, is it a really bad thing? I own a Porsche all they say is drive it, drive it, drive it, it's meant to be driven. I bought it a year and a half ago with 9,000 miles and now I think I am about to hit the 20,000 mark. I drive it more than I would drive a Ferrari probably, in rain , etc.

I am new to buying Ferrari's so if you have any tips please let me know.

Thanks.

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a high mile Ferrari!

I would buy a high mile properly maintained car over a low mile garage queen any day. Properly maintained, I believe the cars would last 150000+ miles.

There seems to be a insane lust for low miles cars in Ferrari world and on Fchat. I bought a low mile car after being advised to do so.

Now I know better. My friend Jeremy has a 60k+ mile car that runs great, sounds great. It is hardly any different from my 20K miles car.

And your strategy to drive it frequently will keep it in a good condition. I am driving about ~4k miles/year and haven't had any major issues to speak of. Sure mechanical parts will have to be replaced when their time is up but then you would have had a lot of fun driving it along the way.

9. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Regarding the car on ebay:
    + Paint looks great
    - red front grill looks weird
    + Decent interior
    - Leather around driver's seat headrest looks a bit deformed. Bolsters look great
    - filthy engine. When was it last serviced? Was the belts done? Water pump? Tensioner bearings?
    - Check the rear tire - seems low on tread
    - Doesn't have the original leather tool roll/leather manual holder

10. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    I saw the leather on the drivers head rest, continues to bother me. I'm wondering if I should skip this car all together, PPI, everything and move on.

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
  12. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looking closely at the photos, it appears that the mouse motors and tracks are gone too.
    I LOVE that all the tan carpet has been replaced with black, but I hate that they didnt paint the recessed area behind the grill black, as its supposed to be... thats a huge detail to overlook! The large black cavallino on the grill looks all wrong too... the grill area just looks stupid.
    Funky headrest, paint overspray, no toolkit, antenna mast appears to be missing, ugly engine compartment, no mention of any service history... I think $50k can get you a much better (and maybe a year or 2 newer) car in the current market.