Thomas Crown Nart Spyder in Octane 191 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thomas Crown Nart Spyder in Octane 191

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gt4me, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #26 Jack-the-lad, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks. What color is 10139?

It must have been 9437 that I saw at Sheltons' then. I just assumed it was Jaeger's because he had cars in there occasionally in those days.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that 10139 is Rosso Chiaro.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    gt4me, donv, miurasv and 3 others like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have been reliably informed;) that 10139 is no longer with Jim Jaeger. I stand corrected.

miurasv, of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It was actually owned by Dano Davis of Fort Lauderdale at the time and Al Roberts oversaw a complete restoration so Al has the rare distinction of having worked on the two most prestigious 275's: the ultimate racing version, 6885GT and 09437, quite unique! I wanted to sit down with him days after I drove 09437 in late September early October when I visited Ft Lauderdale but did not have time and there is only so much text allowed for an article anyway.

Tom I agree that the Sebring race was more important than the film usage, there are videos of Sebring 67 where you can see the car albeit briefly.

I had a brief ride in 10139 with the caretaker of Jaeger (John Andrews IIRC?) at Mid Ohio national FCA meet 1995 not on track but behind the pits to photograph it. I made a poster out of that which years later I gave to that other Nart spyder owner who had one from new all his life, you know who I mean, a wonderful character from the Carolinas.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the spyder you speak of returned from red to the factory blue>

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Owned by Mr S wonder if he keeps it in Canada or Geneva area? I saw a 250LM come out of his street near GVA once a couple of years ago...

of2worlds likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    John...

Whatever...yes, whatever...and don't get me wrong... I do like the Rolls-Royce Mulliner version a lot...and I do like Steve McQueen...BUT: as far as I am concerned, the NART Spider will always and forever be associated with Faye Dunaway.
    And Mrs Faye Dunaway, leaving aside her reputation as being a "difficult character" as an actress, is forever, and for many of us frenchmen (or women) having gone through the classical studies cursus, associated with Richard Lester's version of the "Three Musketeers" as the best and most credible "MyLady De Winter" in the whole history of movies, and the whole history of Dumas' adaptations.
    Whatever...yes, whatever...No-one, I repeat, no-one can best her in that role. So...that car, the NART Spider, is somewhat associated with her? Well, that's enough for me.
    What did you say? I'm a romantic? Yes I am. But in that role, no-one can touch her.

Rgds

Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #34 Jack-the-lad, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    I'm really looking forward to the article, Marc. One small point: I thought Dano Davis lived Jacksonville. Perhaps he had a home in Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Al is one of my closest friends. He shepherded my 330GTC through Classiche certification. He has had his hands on some amazing and important cars. Just the Preston Henn cars alone are legendary. When he and Jocelyne went to Revival with us a few years ago he walked through the paddock pointing out the cars he'd worked on. Imagine working at the same dealership across six decades, and through five ownerships. I doubt that will ever happen again.

And I fully agree with you and Tom about the race being far more significant than the movie.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #35 Nembo1777, Mar 27, 2019
    The silver screen Goddess with the nicest 4 wheel accessory ever:)

I tried emailing her March 1 but I was in Sicily with poor internet and had to deliver the text that day, the first months of the year have been a blurr for family reasons so could not do it earlier, not sure I would have gotten a reply anyway, the collection which owns the car had no luck communicating with her but in fairness what would she recall? She was terrified by the dune buggy beach rides with Mr cool though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I hope you like it Jack:)

Yes Al has lived through a lot of interesting Ferrari chapters, I recall being with him at Preston Henn's house to photograph 6885 for Scuderia the Japanese magazine and while I was doing it he was working on the black BB spyder that Preston had. Al has a house at Le Mans and I have met him there race week at least once.

of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #37 Jack-the-lad, Mar 27, 2019
    For you Dunaway fans, she was born in the tiny Florida panhandle town of Bascom which is just a few miles from the tiny Florida panhandle town that I live in. I wonder when she last visited her hometown.......

She has another indirect connection to Ferrari: Her first husband was Peter Wolf, a member of J. Geils Band.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If she does comeback to Floriad one of these days, Jack, and should you be aware of this...P.M me! I'll catch the next plane available...I'll sell my soul to the devil to meet her; I know her age nowadays, and I don't care...

A funny thing with us frenchmen (or women) having gone through our "classical studies of yesterdays" is that many of us are unashamed great fans of Alexandre Dumas, even if this was seen as "cheap litterature" in some ways.
    As many among you may know, "The Three Musketeers" have been subject to a lot of movies adaptations; the consensus is that there never has been a perfect one, in the sense that for each version you think that someone else would have been better suited to play this or that character (But the 1948 version, made in the US, nevertheless was probably the best one).
    BUT: as far as the character of "Milady De Winter" is considered, most friends I know, and please note that many of these being women, all agree that Faye Dunaway was, and by far, the best, and the most poisonous one. In that role, she will not be surpassed.

(And in the Richard Lester movies, Charlton Heston was also a very credible Richelieu, even if Mr Heston was 6'4" tall and the real Armand Jean Duplessis, Cardinal de Richelieu, only 5'...)

Rgds

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    gt4me likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So TWO Nart spyders were serviced at Shelton and one, 09437, restored, nice.

readplays likes this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I also thought he lived in Jacksonville. He was a client of mine back in the late 1980s to mid '90s. Bought a number of high end models. I always received correspondence from Jacksonville, and shipped there too.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Did not know, that was right after my time in Florida but we are talking about a 1985 restoration though.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis

Attached Files:

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    What a great article! Clearly Norman (and the author, too) was living the dream!!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Very worthwhile, thank you for posting.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #49 Nembo1777, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Yes Silver clearly enjoyed his cars and was particularly generous in sharing them, a very enjoyable read about simpler, happier times:)
    I must say the owner of 09437 and of another major icon -not a Ferrari- I drove during that same trip for an upcoming article was also very very generous: thank you again Sir for unforgettable times and major career highlights if you happen to read this.

MS

25. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    IIRC, the company was sold to someone else prior to 2005.