308 delay wipers relay clicking | FerrariChat

308 delay wipers relay clicking

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BillyD, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well the rain is here & I can't seem to park the 308 so I've been caught in numerous showers. I never used the delay feature as all I ever got was alot of relay chatter (relay is behind oil temp/clock gauges) & constant wipes but after using the wipers on low for a while the delay starting working. Anyone have a wiring diagram or trouble shooting ideas? Is it a time delay relay? aftermarket available? or is this another bad connection problem?
    thanks
    Bill

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

this relay is a highly old fashioned design, because it is not comparable with modern electronic wiper relays. It's an old electromechanical thing once manufactured by Marelli. And believe it or not; it is still available from a russian manufacturer.
    Reason for this is - I believe - because it was also found in some earlier Fiat 124. And because Lada in Russia has built the 124 under license from Fiat, I think, that the wiper relay is aftermarket Lada equipment.
    You can buy such a relay; the internals are absolutely o.k. and nicely done. If the cyrillic labelling disturbs, you can swap the original Marelli relay housing.

Maybe you have to open the housing anyway, because there's some adjustment needed on the delay contact. This works with a heating coil and a bimetal contact. Like I said, VERY oldfashioned :)

Once I tried to rebuild my wiring harness for use with a modern electronic wiper relay, but for this there are extensive modifications needed.

Best Regards

Martin

3. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Do a quick check wiht the wiper speed switch in the console. I had the exact same problem in my 308. I was thinking it was in the relay or stalk, but then traced it down to dirt in the contact of the switch in the console.

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Guys
    Bill

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Bill, if you need the wiring diagram of the wiper circuit I would gladly scan it and send it to you. Just send me a PM with your e-Mail address.

Best Regards

Martin