355 or 355 | FerrariChat

355 or 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by delaney, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I need advice please ...

Two 355's:

95 7500miles 15k done
    97 27000miles 15k & 30k engine out done & valves.

Everything else equal(ish) .. price etc, '95 may have slightly better cosmetics (small amount of dash shrinkage & switch plate looks buckled .. but very liveable with).

Both check out OK on a pre purchase inspection.

I'm worried about the '95 valve problem. Should I be?

I have no 355 experience.

regards,

Delaney

2. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    ... for the previous link ... both are spyders.

3. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Personally I am a fan of low miles, overall condition, and service history. I am assuming both cars checked out in terms of originality - no accidents, major paint work, etc. I would vote for the '95 with 7500 miles. You'll be able to put 10,000 miles on it and still have a low mileage car for its year. Another 10,000 miles on the '97 and you'll be pushing 40k in miles - not somewhere you want to be with a Ferrari. This is all assuming that you do care about resale, etc. I have a '95 and have not had any problems (knock on wood) with the valve issue. I heard the same things you are hearing - potential problem but not one that affects every car.

4. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The '95 will need to have the engine out/belt change performed due to age. It is required at 30K miles or 5-7 years. This car is now going on 9 years, I might question what else the owner skimped on. I would factor this service into the purchase price.

For the valves, what did the compression test reveal? This should give an indication of their current health.

5. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would also opt for the lower mileage vehicle if all things are otherwise equal - service will be required due to age

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Here's what you need to know about the valve guide issue. Probably the most comprehensive write-up I've ever seen on this topic.

Regards.

7. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Delaney - The last two posts are correct in that you will have to add around $5,000 for the 30k service. Assuming that the '97 had the 30k done properly and there are receipts to support the service that may make a difference in your budget. But I stand by my original opinion that the low mileage car is the better choice since you get to drive and enjoy it many many more miles before coming up against that artificial mileage wall where it loses significant value.

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Ghost for the link to the topic regarding valve guides. Very informative! Glad to have it as a reference!

Jeffrey

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Pleasure. I found it immensely helpful as well (helpled me in my decision to buy my own 355B, which I shook on just yesterday ;))

Regards.

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Congradulations on living out dream! I wish you luck on a pleasurable ownership. Drive well, drive fast. :)

11. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA