365 GTC/4 value | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4 value

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Greetings,

At the local Fcar repair facility there is a white w/black int 365 GTC/4 that has just been pulled out of storage. It's been sitting since 1982 at least and has almost 83000 miles on it. Apparently it starts, but needs mechanical attention almost everywhere. The body is rough, in that there are chips, cracks, scuffs, the grill is missing (the rubber bumper is still there), the gaskets around the windows are dried out, etc. There does not seem to be major rust problems or major accident damage, although it seems to have been off road at least once based on some front underside damage. The interior is very obviously original and thus has what might politely be termed "a patina." The glass is all present and seems good.

From what I understand, the owner passed on a six figure offer in the 80s boom, and now is looking to sell the car.

From browsing the web, it seems that very nice GTC/4s are in the 50s, does that sound about right? If so, is there any point in trying to low-ball into this car? Where would you all put the value of the car as it sits? I'd half-tempted to offer $10-20K and if he bites start tearing it apart.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Your talking about spending some serious money. I'd look for a good car, unless you have some serious restoration experience.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. Everything I have heard is that a C4 is Daytona money. If the car is really upside down, I'd be tempted to make the the owner a 50/50 offer on the actual restoration costs, not an estimate. I'd also want to take the car to Bob Smith.

Let us know what happens, DrTax

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, the advice here and elsewhere has been "run!"

It's sad to see a complete classic go to rot, but I guess I'll leave it.

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

To buy a car in this condition requires someone who will love it for the restoration and the result, not for the investment opportunity. Very few restorations (none - ?) make money for the owners any more.

As Sheehan says on the restored cars he sells "Pay for the restoration and get the car for free..."

You have the right range for C4s (50s), but that's for good ones.

http://home.earthlink.net/~f365gtc4/365gtc4buyersguide.htm