BMW - Williams 6 Wheel Car | FerrariChat

BMW - Williams 6 Wheel Car

Discussion in 'F1' started by West777, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Sorry if this has already been posted.

Has anyone seen that BMW-Williams prototype? Six Wheels, 4 Wheel drive. I saw it in the F1 Racing magazine last week. I was in a hurry and didnt get to read the arrticle, just saw the pictures.

Did anyone read this article?

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Ferrari (1976-77), March (1976), Tyrrell (1976), and Williams (1981) all made 6-wheel cars at one time or another...not very successfully either. Only the Tyrrell actually raced. Is there a chance the magazine photo was from then?

3. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    the Ferrari had 4 wheels on the back, any one has original pictures ?

the Tyrell had 4 wheels on the front....

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I did see the article briefly in the newsagents, the general gist was Williams were asked what they would do to build the ultimate restriction free F1 car. The concept had 4 driven wheels at the back full ground effect aerodynamics, slicks and active suspension. The computer model reckoned it would be 10 seconds a lap faster around Silverstone than the current cars and would produce up to 6g on cornering. So pretty quick then!!

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Formula 1 rules are very specific in this regard. Only 4 wheels are permitted.

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    This was assuming no rule changes after 1981, but keeping the current powerplants I believe.

7. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    just a note: BMW had nothing to do with Williams at the time.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    todays rules prohibit more than 4 wheels and more than 2 wheels driven

which is really too bad, imagine the engineering fun we could watch with six wheel cars and all wheel drive, whoa!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think we are referring to 2 different cars.

1st car: Williams back in the 70's (I think, may have been 80's) produced a 6 wheeled car with 4 rear wheels ... I do not think it ever raced.

2nd car: Not long ago for the F1 magazine they produced a theoretical study of how they saw a modern F1 car without all these stupid restricting rules and thus ended up with a 6 wheeled car again ... with 4 rear wheels. This ofcourse never will be built.

Also I was not aware that Ferrari ever went the 6 wheeled route??? ... confirmation please :)

Pete

10. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    vanimal,
    great stuff!! where did you find such interesting info??

11. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

12. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    What do you think of the new BMW-Williams? Weird nose...

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay I followed the link and read up, but while the Ferrari may have had 6 'wheels' it was not a true 6 wheeled car IMO.

This is because they mounted the rear wheels all on the same axle, ie. like a truck, 2 per side. This does not take full advantage of the concept and is probably no better than a 4 wheeled system, especially on a bumpy track.

The advantage of the way the Williams car did this is that the extra wheels have their own suspension, etc. and thus follow the road independently thus improving traction under all conditions. The Ferrari system on the other hand doesn't in the situation say the outside rear wheel was on a lump (say curb) ... this would mean that it's mate right next to him would also be lifted and thus not providing the ideal traction.

Thus Ferrari did not really put much effort and thinking IMO into this concept ... also considering how big the rear wheels used to be in those days the contact patch was probably bigger than 2 front wheels anyway! and thus why the concept for all was binned I guess. Nowadays it would be a much bigger contact patch ...

Pete