Bypass switch for F355 Airbags | FerrariChat

Bypass switch for F355 Airbags

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Merdav, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    My 1995 F355 should be arriving in about 2 weeks. I have a 4 year old who on occasion will hopefully be riding along with me. The problem unlike other sports cars, ie. Porches and Corvettes which have toggle switches in the glove box to disable the passenger side airbag while having youngters onboard, the F355 does not.
    In the owners manual it shows the wiring for the airbags to the ECU, has anyone ever try to splice a toggle switch in line to be able to deactivate it? I don't mind that both sides would be deactivated while doing this, and I realize the AIRBAG light would be on, although that would be a good reminder to switch it back later.

2. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I was told when i bought my 355 from Foreign Cars Italia in greensboro that it could not be done with any expectation that it would work when the switch was turned on. I think they really just didn't want the liability.

So I put my kid in a car seat, put the seat all the way back and pray we don't hit anything.

Stan

3. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I don't think any dealer would take the liabilty risk of doing it, but I'm sure it safe IF done properly. But becareful with your kids, airbag deployment is done with explosives and it's pretty dramatic.