458 - C1301 Suspension error. | FerrariChat

458 C1301 Suspension error.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by omulec, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi there,

Maybe someone will give any advise on that, I've done reading all internet.

458 Italia lights up on ignition suspension control failure on the dash. Hooked up Texa and it shows error c1301 - sensor 1 voltage error. Internet doesn't say about such error anything.

I moved between left and right the following:
    - 234671 upper shock connectors
    - 238243 motion sensors
    - 263079 accelerator for megneride
    On both axles front and rear.
    It didn't change the code or the sensor number moving all those to other wheel.

The error on ignition goes to memory immidiatelly but cannot be clered. As there was an option to check also other suspencion ECU, checked - didn't change anything.

Anyone can help with the code?

2. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Just some update.

I checked 263079 sensors mounted under fron trunk cover on top of the whell houses on both sides, even changing them within the sides. But I see on the scheme that there are 3 the same sensors mounted. Anyone knows where is the third one?

3. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    I had the same issues.upper connector faulty.25€

4. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi Baitschev,

Thanks for the info. But did you get the same error code? I will check the upper connectors once again.

5. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    You can disconnect it from wire harness and Suspension damper.
    Messure the inside connection from one side to the other side.
    You messure Ohm 0,2
    If you messure 2 or More Ohm (resistant) Replace or clean connector with Gold 2000 Spray contact Spray

6. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks a lot. I will check that and report.

7. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi there again. After some testing, I believe that the error is related to suspension level sensors 238243/238244/259265/259266.

Tried to replace them, but it's more complicated. I don't say that one of them is broken, but doesn't matter if I use spare sensors - the diagnostic shows always 4,998V on each of 4 sensors - doesn't matter if the car is on the ground, or in the air lifted on the car lift. When trying to make calibration, the diagnostic shows that it's not succesfull, as the difference in sensors reading between extreme is lower than 0,2V. Once again - during the calibration we lift the car and than ground it.

Tried another NCS suspension module 279298, exactly the same.

Now, I don't know if supplie voltage/signal voltage/groung from the sensors is separated (I believe so), or if any open/short circuit would affect the NCS module this way, but I can't make the calibration, and all the sensors show frozen readings at 4,998V.

Any suggestions appreciated as I'm in dead end here ;)

8. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    Can you share a little about your car? Yr, miles and if suspension was modified in any way? I too am trying to trace this down. Dealership thought it was the battery and replaced it. Still get the error. Bought my 2012 Italia with 240 miles a few months ago and put about 900 miles on it since. Turns out the selling dealership took the car in with Novitec springs and swapped them for OEM before selling to me with a 2yr Power Warranty. I read another members thread where they began getting this error after swapping springs

9. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    From what you are saying and have tried i think it is problem somewhere in the wiring harness/connection etc

C1301 error code according for a Ferrari 430 says:

NCS Suspension Node C1301 SENSOR 1 SUPPLY VOLTAGE The ECU power supply voltage is above 5.5V

But you say on Texa all 4 are frozen on 4.99V?

Do you have another machine you can check the code on aswell maybe Autel?

Either way i don't issue is with sensor somewhere electrical

Let us know how you get on

10. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    The car arrived to Europe in one piece from UAE. Everything was ok for few months and the error appeared suddenly, during a normal drive. 68k km, stock suspension.

Check on Texa and Galileo that I have here. Yesterday confirmed by Autel Maxisys (I was hoping the description of the error will be more accurate).
    And all 4 sensors read 4,98V, doesn't matter which position the sensors are (lifted or on the ground). Will check the wiring today, as it's really weird. I suppose also that the C1301 error description is really general, copied from original Ferrari error table. I was trying yesterday to pay for the subscription on Ferrari techinfo website to read more about it, but it's not working, constant problems of login and card payment. Italians... ;)

11. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Ok looks like you’ve checked on most the machines out there lol

So far I prefer the Autel but it is limited on the description for some codes so you gotta try to work off what you can interpret

Take it your car has lift system?

And what website is it to get more info on Ferrari workshop information etc or is that for special garages only?

But from the description you are giving and especially if you have swapped sensors over etc I think maybe some wiring issue

Would be good to know how you get on

12. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Also am sure Texa have wiring diagram for 458 so hopefully that should help you aswell?

And is all the shocks ok as normally the stupid things leak lol even though that won’t be causing the error code you getting

13. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    No, the car is without the lift system.

The website that I mentioned is techinfo.ferrari.com. It's official ferrari tech support. You can use it after registering as a workshop, even independent. The access to data is paid of course, but you can buy it for short periods as well. Since december I have a feeling that is not funtioning as it should - login page is hidden, payment option don't work for me, etc.

I will put my hands on wiring an connection.

14. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Cool on the website didn't about that good to know lol

Where are you in Europe?

And yeh check wiring as i think it'll be similar to what the code is relating to on the F430 about voltage being high or something

Keep us posted

p.s would you have any idea how to bypass the suspension error code on the dash as am going to be installing a set of coilovers that are not magnaride because the 3 original shocks are leaking

it same/similar like the Audi R8's silly shocks that leak however they do sell some bypass resistors for them when people install aftermarket coilovers

I think K-Sport sell some bypass for the 458 but surely must be a way to do yourself?

15. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    techinfo.ferrari.com

just had a look on here $275 for one days access ouch lol

Have you logged on here is it any good for information etc

16. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    #16 omulec, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Well, there is complete online documentation. Parts catalogue, job timing, as well as technical information and documentation.
    The thing is, that if you are not familiar, you can get confused how to find what you are looking for. You need some time to click here an there to learn their way of work.

I'm in Europe - Warsaw, Poland.

Considering your suspension idea, I think it's try and test. From what I know Magneride is also on some american cars. Similar system was mounted in VW/Audi - at least the NCS suspension node and it's pinout looks identical.
    I think that to remove lift in car configuration is possible by proxy procedure. But that will not work for active suspension as a main future of each 458.

Did you consider restoration of the shocks, if the only issue is a leak? If so, I have two solutions, except the original new or used. I don't know what are rules here on forum about sharing the company name, but aerosus.pl is selling new OEM made by them. Even cheaper - you can send yours for renovation - nagengast.pl is reparing them.

17. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Hahaha if your in Poland you got nothing to worry about you guys willl figure it out

My gut feeling is wiring

But yeh good to know about the technical website just hope we don’t have to use it one day

Regards to the shocks yes 3 where leaking and I looked into the regeneration company and replacements options etc etc and this company are well known for the Audi R8 but I beleive now they are now charging like nearly €500 per shock absorber (still better than new dealer price lol)

But i get lucky and find aftermarket coilovers by Yellow Speed Racing from Taiwan and got a full set complete with springs etc only thing we have use the original top mount for £650 so was a no brainer at that price

(They have increased the price now but still cheaper than all other options out there)

Think the quality is are similar to K-Sport and BC Racing and previously on a friends R8 he had same problem leaking shocks and it drove nasty

After he fit the BC Racing coilovers I was amazed how awesome it drove

So yeh will st some point install the coilovers and figure out a way to disable the warning light

Attached Files:

18. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    You fix or have any luck with this buddy?

19. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Not, yet. Didn't have time to stick to the car, but we found some loose pins on the wiring to the suspension ECU. Have the pins, but the location for soldering is...

20. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Awesome looks like you should be able to sort this then

21. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Guys, need your open minded ideas. Any hints what else to check appreciated.

Is I said, we did check the wiring, once we found some of the suspension ECU pins in the plug a little loose. Fixed, hooked, all is fine - reading ~3,5V.

Next day, again 4,998V on each sensor. The previous day the car battery was almost discharged. And this happened after overnight charging. I was so desperate that we repeated the situation and it seems that the suspension ECU detect the proper reading only when the battery is really week. This is something that I can't properly recognize in the database of my experience.

Any idea how the fully charged battery may trigger such situation?

22. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    That's strange so the error only comes up when you have fully charged battery in the car and seems to clear with a discharged battery?

Also is the battery discharging overnight or after a week or something?

23. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    This is a lingering issue with my 2012 Italia as well. Has been to the dealership twice in the last few months and not resolved. My car returned this past week from its' 2nd visit.

The car had 240 miles on the odometer when purchased last yr. It now has 1200. The car has had its annual services and currently under the 2 yr Power Warranty. It was brought to my attention that the car had Novitec springs removed by my selling Ferrari dealership in order to certify it and include the 2yr Power Warranty. I had read on another post that someone had a similar issue after installing new springs and there was a connector issue in the suspension. I notified the dealer of this and they did further testing. I am including the repair order with their notes. The error seems to come and go and is most commonly found upon startup after the car has been on the tender and fully charged. Maybe it's possible the battery is being overcharged and causing an issue within the suspension ECU? If I drive somewhere and turn the car off, it seems that when I return later and start it up the error many times goes away. I think there may be something to overcharging the battery with the Ferrari battery tender. Maybe the tender is faulty?

The car will go back for a 3rd time. I too am looking for answers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    When your suspension lifter error happens is it when the lifter is going up or going down?

SV

25. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    Not sure. The lifter error only appeared once or twice and is not so frequent like the suspension error. I dont recall if it occurred while going up or down.