Coolant hose R & R - carb 308 | FerrariChat

Coolant hose R & R - carb 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4re gt4, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I've got the carbs off, and I'm staring at a 6" or so coolant hose that connects the upper part of the thermostat housing to the head-to-head coolant crossover pipe. Can this be replaced w/o removing either the crossover pipe or the thermo housing? Obviously I can cut the old one off, but I'm not sure if 1 1/2" Gates Green Stripe has enough flexibility to go back on w/o some unwanted disassembly. Anyone done this?

(BTW, the lower hose - the one just under that connects the alum pipe to the lower part of the thermo housing - already has a length of Green Stripe on it.)

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I was able to get mine on w/o removing anything , but i have a fuel-injection plenum, so I'm not sure yours would be the same.While everyone uses 1.5" hose, I used 1 5/8" hose on mine as I couldn't for the life of me fit a 1.5" hose on no matter what I did. The 1 5/8' obviously goes on more easily. The OEM hose is 40mm id ; the 1 5/8" = 40.6 mm. .6 mm difference is more than tightened up via a normal hose clamp. I've not had any leaks with that size either. Good luck!

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Thanks. I looked at FoUK's parts diagrams, and I *think* that the crossover pipe for the FI cars is in a slightly different place. The carb cars have a thermostatic coil to work the fast idle, resulting in a bend in the crossover pipe, and thus the hose section is *probably* shorter. At least it looks that way. If so, it may be more difficult for me to do this. I will probably try to find 1 5/8 hose. It can't possibly move or slip off, so worst case scenario is leak potential. Unlikely with tight clamps.

I didn't want to remove anything, as I don't have gaskets. But I think I might remove the crossover pipe and make some gaskets. Together with a bit of sealer, I should be OK. I hope.

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I replaced both of those hoses easily (well not easily;-0)with the carbs in place, but I was using the stock 40MM hose, you need to put some coolant inside the hose to lube it up and slide it as far as you can on to one side, then bend it to get the lip over the pipe and it will slip on. I have been buying a 6 foot section of that hose from TR every few years and cut it myself, kind of pricey but I have found the quality and durability excellent!

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Something I forgot to say is to use silicone spray on the pipe and insde of hose before attempting to put it on. It makes the job much easier.