Dry-starting a 308QV | FerrariChat

Dry-starting a 308QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I'll be installing new oil lines on my car soon, for the second time ( see other thread), and the oil cooler will be empty, a new, empty oil filter will be on the car, and the car has sat for a time so the oil will be in the pan. A friend recommended dry-startring the car in order to build oil pressure before actually starting up. He rec'd pulling the coil wires and then cranking the starter until oil pressure builds up. After the build up, reconnecting the coil wires for a formal start.

Does this sound right? Is it really necessary? Are there other ways of doing this?

2. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Here's what I do:

1. Remove the sparkplugs.

2. Get a 2' piece of clear plastic tubing and a plastic squeeze ketchup bottle. Fill the bottle with 30W oil. Insert the tube into each plug hole (all the way in - not just the recess). Put a couple of cc's of oil in the tube and blow it into the cylinder with compressed air. Wait an hour or so, that should get the bores/rings a little wet.

3. Unplug the coil high tension wire(s). The big one in the middle of the coil(s).

4. Remove the fuel pump fuse.

5. Crank the motor for NO MORE than 20 seconds at a time to avoid overheating and ruining the starter motor. Wait a minute or more before cranking again.

6. Replace the sparkplugs, coil wires, fuel pump fuse, etc., and start the motor. You'll get some blue smoke at first, but that's a good thing - its just the oil you put in the cylinders burning off. Monitor the oil pressure and make sure it comes up right away

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, Mike.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    One more thing you can do to build up oil pressure fast.

1. Disconnecto the lower oil line at the oil cooler, hold that end up.
    2. pour in 20W50 oil until it is completely full.

Now, your oil pump is full of oil all the way to the cooler. When you crank it over, it will not need to prime itself, it will just build pressure fast. This, by the way, was the only way I could get my engine to build oil pressure after a full rebuild. Cranking alone was not enough.

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

>A friend recommended dry-startring the car in order to build oil pressure before actually starting up. He rec'd pulling the coil wires and then cranking the starter until oil pressure builds up. After the build up, reconnecting the coil wires for a formal start.

That is the exact procedure that Shelton Ferrari followed when I had the TR there for a wheel removal. - I also had asked them to start the car after being stored for awhile. I actually would think that the prelube procedure that others posted would be quite good protection at startup.