Emissions Exemption - I Passed! | FerrariChat

Emissions Exemption - I Passed!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by screentime, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Hi Guys,

I bought my 85 Euro 308 GTS about a year ago in Florida, and I've been delaying taking it to emissions as long as I could since the history of the import/conversion was not available to me, so I was sure I would probably fail emissions. I got the Illinois state form for show car/race car exemption that was posted here on the old site a while back, filled it out, and even just changed my insurance to show car status (limited use, might as well for the winter...)

Anyway, just took it to emissions today cause I was going to get my license suspended on the 20th if I didn't :eek:) So I went in the office (Downers Grove - by the way, a red 355 Spyder was in line) and talked to a lady and showed her my forms. I was under the impression that I could send these down to Springfield with a copy of my new show car insurance policy, my state exemption form and be all good. All I needed was some certificate #. Well, the lady told me that the only way I could get an exemption was if I had the car tested and it passed. If not, I had to spend a minimum of $450 with a certified mechanic to try and improve the emissions, and then I would be given an extension until June 2004. I didn't understand why it had to pass if it was considered a "show" car to be driven only to events, but anyway, I got in line, and they had a problem with my VIN # since it is a Euro car, they asked to see my insurance card, called the lady over, then tested my car, which took all of about 1 minute. I was expecting the cops to show up due to the VIN# not be a valid US#, and all sorts of other hassle. To my surprise it passed! So I guess I'm going to change my insurance back so I can drive it whenever, but this was a good day!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Congratulations Sean!

I know how you feel, I had the same horror trip last year. I went to the office in Chicago to ask for an exemption and they made it clear, NO WAY! Only once the car is 25 years old can I apply for collector's plates and be exempted. So I'm counting the years down. Once I have those plates, goodbye catalists, hello resonator pipes and tubi!

Even if you could get your exemption, I bet if you ever had an accident during say a weekday where there is no show, I bet your insurance company might give you a very hard time.

If my car ever fails emissions repeatedly, I would just store it till 2008. Let's pray it wont.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just took,and passed, my emissions test for my 308. No problem. It only has 18,XXX miles on it. The day that I brought it there,(Addison) They told me that there was a Testarossa,A Lambo.,several Corvettes,and 3 Prorsches in that day before me. My car will be 23 this January. So,not too long until I can do what Andreas just said. :)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well I wouldn't have called my emissions test "no problem". It was more like blood, sweat and almost tears: They had to run it twice until the car passed and it just wears your heart out watching that 16 year old kid taking your engine to 6,500 rpm and the car screaming like a fighter jet on the dyno. I hated it with every fiber of my body, was totally relieved when it passed in the second go around.

5. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Hmm, I didn't go on a dyno. 48K+ miles. They shut the car off for a minute or so, then started it, let it get to idle speed, tested at idle, and that was it. No problem... maybe the fact that I talked to the lady before testing trying to get show car exemption helped?

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Andreas. I sat in my passenger seat when they did my test. And,I believe that my 6'2",300#+ Frame somewhat intimidated them. As,the first guy who inspected my car, (Gas cap) asked me if I'd like to wait in the waiting room. I said,"No WAY,Pal. I'm sitting in the passenger side!". So,he got a weird look,and asked another guy to come over and drive it. (HeeHee) I then explained to the Young man that I would APPRECIATE IT if I didn't hear any Gears grinding. He was O.K. with that. Then,he went to adjust the seat. I said "NO! DO NOT adjust the seat! It took me forever to get it just perfect!" So,he didn't.Then,I told him about my car,and you guys. He was excited to be "driving a Ferrari",albeit only a minute and on a Dyno. I was glad he enjoyed it. But,the car did have to be Dynoed,but only at low speed and for about 1 minute. It flashed "PASS" on the screen,almost right away,so it was over. But,I don't know why they dynoed it,as,the last time that I had to bring it in,they did the same thing as Sean said. Idle only,and test the idle. I thanked the Young Man for NOT grinding any gears. I asked them about doing a "Stand Alone Static Test",as Skip had suggested,and they looked at me like I was talking in Russian or something. And,agree about hating it with every "fiber of my body". It's almost like watching your Girlfriend (or Wife) "Make Out" with another guy....But Worse!!! :)

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting how different stations run the test differently.

Frank, Skip, Sean, could you please tell us here where you tested your vehicles?

Mine was in Chicago about Kennedy and Belmont. The computer there draws a fixed curve of RPMs they have to follow on the dyno. The test demands high RPMs towards the end. Don't remember exactly how high, but loud enough that I was worried the engine would explode. When driving my car, I never rev it that high (unless at the track).

Would of course prefer one of your low revs tests.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Andreas. I always take all of my cars over to the Addison,IL. station. It is just a block South of Fullerton Av. on Lombard Rd. 425 S. Lombard Rd.,to be exact. That is about 1/2 mile or so,EAST of Rt. 53. And,Fullerton is about a mile North of North Av.(Rt.64) Usually never busy there...no real waiting. I have a # for them: 800-715-0566 Station #11. I still have to take my 'Vette over there for it's test.

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If anybody has problems with the testing, one thing that you can try is.... run the tank level down low and then put in as much 90% or better isopropyl alchohol as you want to buy (I would suggest that you put in about 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount of gas in the tank). The car won't run as good as on straight gas (it will be running a bit lean but the alchy runs cooler), the alchohol does not produce a number of the compounds that they are looking for except of course the CO. Soooo, you pass easier.

10. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Mine was tested in Downers Grove, and they also didn't test the gas cap.