Ferrari factory sealant | FerrariChat

Ferrari factory sealant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Question regarding what Ferrari used on the 348 series as a sealant. My understanding is the factory sealant is white. Performing a major and transaxle refurb on my 348 spider. Removing the transaxle from the engine I noted red/brown silicon sealant on the large “O” ring that seals the engine to transaxle connection. I cannot picture the factory sealing an “O” ring with silicon. Also the same red/brown sealant inside the axle stubs where the CV joints connect. Cannot fathom purpose. Factory? Opinions welcome, thanks.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    spider348,

The white silicon sealer was used only by the Ferrari factory on initial assembley and was called "Rhodoseal" It is still available today, made by Rhodoseal, but only in a reddish / brown colour. Basically if you strip a gearbox / engine unit and it is sealed with the white sealer you know it hasn't been apart before, however if you find the reddish / brown sealer it has been apart since leaving the factory.

MW