Ferrari Spider questions | FerrariChat

Ferrari Spider questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by J.Seven, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    I´m interested on seeing a 95 Spider with 51000Km and a 96 Spider with 35000 Km. Is the Spider prone to water leaks due to poor sealing? Are they noisy at highway speeds with top up? Is there to much wind turbulence with windows up and top down?

How can I see if the manifolds are in bad or good condition? How do I see if the throttle is a bit twitchy? Sorry for so many questions but I want to buy a dream car and not a expensive headackes ;)
    Thanks in advance.

2. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Forget to mention, it´s the 355 Spider. Thanks.

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    One of the most impressive things I found on my 355 Spider is the quality of the roof.

Zero leaks...I mean none...during washing or heavy rain. I'm in Florida and we get severe tropical storms and not even a drop of water enters the car.

Same thing holds true at highway speeds with roof up. Very quite and no air noise...it's a very well built top.

The only drawback to the Spider top is the mechanical operation of the automatic open / close system. It is too sophisticated in it's operation. For example to open / close: Doors closed, park break on. You hit the switch and the windows will automatically lower a few inches, seats move forward and the top begins the sequence. If the computer gets a bad signal (thinking doors aren't closed or break not on) the system will stop. I would prefer the top to work manually like a Vette, just open and close it by hand.

When you open the drivers door you will see a small took kit next to the parking brake handle. That's for emergency operation of the top..so even Ferrrari recognized the problem.

I have never had a problem with my top. They seem to become to develop problems if you don't operate them for prolonged periods. I cycle mine at least once a month.

Re: Manifods...I assume you mean the exhaust. Usually you can hear a crack - but the best thing to do is get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) fror a qualified mechanic or dealer before buying the car.

4. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    FL 355, thanks for your help. How about the inside bufting at highway speeds with top down and windows up? Can you travel at 120/140Kph without to much turbulence inside the cabin.
    J.Seven

Ps Excuse me for the bad English, it´s not my main linguage.

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Yes is the answer to your question,as long as you have the windows up!Buffeting is not a problem until well over 100 MPH. I agree with FL 355 that construction and fit of hood is very good and certainly compares to Porsche standard, which is probably the benchmark for cabriolet hoods.
    FL 355, my '96 Spider does not have the hood tool kit you mentioned. Do you know if this was supplied to later cars only?
    Tony

6. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    How about rigidity? Are these cars comparable to a 996 Carrera regarding chassi rigidity, or do you feel the all chassi "benting" on bumpy roads?

How long does it take to open/close the roof? Do I have to get out of the car to complete the process? I´ve heard it can take 3 to four minutes to do the job? Is this real true?

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The chassis is fine with little flexing over bumps and compares favorably with 993 Cab.I haven't driven 996 Cab so can't comment on 355 vs 996 .The hood takes less than 1 minute to open/close and you have to be inside the car the whole time because you need to press a rocker switch to operate the roof.
    Tony

8. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    I drove it once on the high way very cool!!
    I don't know nothing about leakings but it has no turbulence in the car but the sound of the wind is hard and especialy of the car!!!!!

9. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    My '98 has the separate hood tool kit.