Front Silentbloc, how hard to change? | FerrariChat

Front Silentbloc, how hard to change?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

Well, in doing a full brake service, new radiators and a new dash upper panel, I noticed a small puddle of gear oil under the car. Seeing how it is my first year of ownership, I am still sorting out the little gremlins that time creates. Well documented car, 26k miles. Still crazy in love with it.

You guessed it! Our beloved number "47" O-ring has failed. Ok, I can live with that job. Just add it on for the winter projects. I figured I needed a new silentbloc (36) back there anyway, so I ordered a pair a week ago (I assumed that was my vague 4th and 5th gear engagement at the end of last season. (was fine after timing belt service in June, got vague by October)

Anyway, now that the side cover will be off, AND the new rear silentblock, how hard is it to do the front one? Can I leave the console in place and still remove the shifter? I'm up on Quick Jacks at the moment and it isn't really easy to get the seats out of the car in my one-bay garage. I'd sooner wait to do it, but don't want to go to the hassle of adjusting everything out, only to discover later the front one is old and weak.

I'm all ears, gents. Grazie,
    Cassidy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You can definitely change the front silent bloc while the shifter and center console remain in the car. Use a puller or what I did...a combination of a bolt, nut and multi sized washers to draw the silent bloc through.

For better shifting, you may want to replace them with Verrel ( member here) delrin silent bloc replacements. I used his for both ends and it's more precise.

The main job of the silent bloc is to prevent the transmission of engine and gear noise though the shift shaft and into the cabin. The delrin does allow for more noise but I preferred the precision.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

c4b4the04 likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think Verrels bushings also came with a removal/installation tool. Shouldn't be hard to do without taking the car apart.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You had to pay extra for it. I just made my own.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Ok, good to know. How much of the console has to come up/off? I am terrified of breaking something there. Oddly I had no reservations about pulling the dash completely out! Just want to be sure I get things right. Any advice on removing the AC control panel? Do I have to remove the arm rest or cassette holders?

Thanks all. I am pretty good at fabricating tools so no worries on that. Glad it all doesn't have to come apart.

Cassidy

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    You are a rockstar. That work is amazing, I can't help but pour over your restoration. Love your concept of custom pullers. I can manufacture all of that on the fly. Thank you. It's funny but true, this site is one of the main reasons I felt comfortable buying an F car. Just seeing that others can do it makes you more comfortable that you can.

I will be rigging up similar pieces as I go forward. Thank you for posting a link. I see many similarities between the Boxer and TR in these pics. Thank you!

Cassidy

Shamile, turbo-joe and raysur like this.
  8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Cassidy-

If you're not going with OEM/rubber, machine the bushings from any material you want. No point in paying $70 for two rubber bushings if you have a lathe. I know of some rubberized polymers from Quadrant that might even be the best of both worlds. I don't know their name but I have some stock sitting around, apparently used for pulleys.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I used Teflon.