Fuel pump switch | FerrariChat

Fuel pump switch

Discussion in '308/328' started by RDS, Oct 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I removed the passenger seat of my 76 308 and found that the fuel pump switch under the seat had been by-passed. I know what it does but I don't know why it's there. Any ideas? Thanks Ron

2. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    The wires led to a strap switch that was in the seat bottom. The fuel pump only works if there is weight in the seat. When they go bad people just bypass the switch. A few guys, like myself, wire in a switch that is hidden. This way when you park your car and some thief steals it, the car will only go about a quarter mile and then it quits. You have to remember to turn it off when you park it, and to turn it on when you leave. I know this from experience. (grin) No amount of messing with it will cause it to start until you turn on the switch and let the bowls fill up. Same way if you get car jacked. It gets them away far enough to allow some space for you, and yet it's close enough that if they abandon the vehicle you can go start it up and leave. Oh yeah, carry an extra key with you or put one on the car someplace.

Bob Wassam

3. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    Thanks buassam, I ment drivers side seat. I know what it does, but why was it installed to begin with. It seems to provide no purpose other than to cause problems if it fails. I like your idea of hidden switch, that makes sense. The seat switch does not. Thanks Ron