Future of Maserati | FerrariChat

Future of Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by zjpj, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    In another thread, we are talking about the Maserati GT. I'm not really familiar with this model, can someone please describe what they know. More importantly, though, I read Luca in an old magazine talking years ago about the plan was to make Ferrari sales 1/3 of the company and Maserati sales 2/3 - so they want to sell twice as many Maseratis. The Quattroporte may help, but in my opinion they are just going to need some better styling on their models, more advertising, and more models in general. What do you think about Maserati's direction?

Also, read a very interesting article recently about how they are going to have for Maserati something like the Ferrari Challenge. EXCEPT, the deal is that you pay 150,000 US for the season, you get all crew provided for you, but you don't own the car! Now, I'm sure the Ferrari challenge is probably more expensive (I'm assuming you have to provide your own crew and car transportation, which can't be cheap,) but that's got to be more attractive than just shelling out all that mondy and not having anything to show for it at the end...like your very own 360, for example. What do you think about the future of this sort of "Maserati Challenge?" I can't see it being as popular.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The Maser GT is a rebadged Enzo. This allows Ferrari to reenter FIA GT racing as a factory effort without hurting Ferrari's name should it not work out. It also allows them to sell more Enzo's without going over the limit of 350 (399) which they said they wouldn't. Maser is a venerable name and the coupe is a nice car (I own one) BUT this is a very competive seg. and judging by resale value they have a problem. How big of a problem remains to be seen. As for the Maser Challenge time will tell on that as well but IMHO that one is a pipe dream.
    Ferrari (the Co.) is in play and as Bob said: "Don't speak too soon while the wheel's still in spin"
    I personally hope this all doesn't all become just another brand of VW, but it's hard to say Karl Marx was wrong when he said:" In the end there will be one Co. and then the government will take it over."

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "In another thread,"

Where? Thanks.

I'm mildly interested in a US Trofeo series. IMO $150k might be good, all things considered, depending on the venues; inclusion of tires and consummables; inclusion of spares; inclusion of repairs/spare cars; availability of driver data analysis & one's own engineer/mechanic; travel, lodging & food; etc. My recollection is that the European series offered a reasonably comprehensive package.

Will

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The Maserati GT is being discussed in the Enzo Vs Porsche Carrera GT Vs S7 thread.