Grandfather's and Grandmother's watches | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Grandfather's and Grandmother's watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rdefabri, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The replacement arrived. Swapped the whole balance assembly of the donor movement onto Rich's movement... tic-tic-tic-tic in every orientation. I can clearly see the difference in where its hairspring rests vs. the one I've been working on. I don't like swapping parts out but this definitely looks like it is a viable solution to getting this timepiece on Rich's wrist!

rdefabri likes this.
  2. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Good job!. I just spent hours getting a balance true, closing endshake on the pallet fork, finally figuring out I had an elongated cock jewel hole causing wobble and replaced that, readjusted the Breguet overcoil and found where center beat should be. I was 5 minutes away from getting this to work and blew too much air on the hairspring as I was recleaning it and somehow it tangled before I could reinstall. Arghhh. Now back to the same drawing board. Parts swaps are legit and were done in the day...

rdefabri and walnut like this.
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well done! :)

4. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Doing a few “run tests” before adjustments and I’m happy to report each wind has gone longer than 24hrs now. Time to finish the timing and get it cases.

5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was putting the watch together and something didn't "feel" right. I stopped and stewed. I've realized what seemed wrong. There are no movement clamps/spring-tabs to hold the movement into the main body of the watch. That explains the amount of circular rubbing and wear on the outer edges of the dial. It was free to shimmy about. I've ordered a set of tabs (I didn't have any spares but will need them eventually) so I can get it properly seated into the case.

6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Everything is assembled and running! The amplitude is great, beat error terrific, and timing is really good as well. During most of its time being worn the crown of a wrist watch will be pointed in the position it is mounted on my timegrapher (45 degrees off of crown-down) as one walks and stands with arm swinging or elbow slightly bent. Another important one is crown horizontal and/or dial up while one’s arm rests on a desk or table. These are the positions I focused on balancing out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I will finish packing it up and send it home as soon as I can. Cannot wait to see what Rich thinks!

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It looks great and I appreciate all the work you put into it!!

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So needless to say I was excited to get the watch and Rich did not disappoint! The watch looks amazing - I was worried about the dial, which I requested to be refinished. It looks brilliant, the pictures don’t do it justice. The band, which is a brown alligator pattern, works great with the style and size.

On the wrist, it’s a classic 50’s / 60’s men’s watch - dial is maybe 36mm, great on my small wrist. The vibe is very much Timex Marlin, which I love.

I forgot how nice the condition of the back of the case - you can clearly see the logo and serial number. Clearly my grandfather didn’t wear it hard or a lot.

I can’t thank Rich enough for the great work he did. It took longer than he expected, that made me feel guilty as I know he has other projects he’s eager to get to. He was patient, communicative, and honest. This watch is an heirloom, it means far more to me than whatever the value is...it’s a part of my heritage and I’m proud to show it!

Thank you @walnut - you far exceeded my expectations with your work!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you for sharing the pictures and even more so for trusting to repair it. I hope I didn’t do or say anything to make you feel guilty as that absolutely wasn’t my intention at anytime. I felt bad that I was taking so long!

It makes me proud to be able to bring new life to an heirloom like this. I’ve got a long way to go in my education but opportunities like this allow me to grow my skills and give me excuses to buy new tools ;)

On to the next adventure for me!

Brian A and rdefabri like this.
  10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You said nothing to make me feel guilty, I’m just someone that naturally feels that way!

Hoping your next adventure challenges you and lets you apply your considerable skills accordingly!!

Brian A and walnut like this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Congratulations! Very cool restoration.

rdefabri and walnut like this.