Little sisters boyfriend want's a new car ... | FerrariChat

Little sisters boyfriend want's a new car ...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by twinturbo, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    My lil'sis' boyfriend is about have his dad purchase him a new car and he's tooling around with the idea of getting a BMW M3 ... this put's him in the $50K price range and I HATE the new M3 ... I had an E36 and have driven the new one and it is terrible (IMO) ... sooo this led my sister to the question: "since your a car guy what do you suggest?" I can't think of ANYTHING???

He's had a Jeep Cherokee for like 3 years and a SUV is out of the question (I had thought of a fully loaded VW Toureg) so he want's a sports car ...

Does anyone have suggestions ... THANKS!!

2. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    C5, or wait for the C6 or Lotus Elise (I'd wait for the Elise) they're both around 50K....

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    The Z4 is a fun little sportscar that doesn't take much to own. Fits the price range nicely with some money left over to put in savings (the smart thing to do). It may not perform quite like an M3, but in my opinion it is much more sportier --still no slouch as well. Nothing like open air motoring too!

If not, an older NSX would fit the budget and would be a great, reliable, and fun "first exotic" kind of car. Also ask him about some older 911s (993 series).

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Does he absolutely need a NEW car? For a little more he could pick up a used Porsche 996. Or, if he wanted to go the slush-box route, he could get a Mercedes C32 or pre-2003 E55. *shrug* I like the E46 M3.

5. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    I had forgotten about the Corvette and haven't heard or seen the new Lotus ... guess I could do a search ... I'm not much on the new Z4 styling, I think it screams hey look at me look at me ... I also thought about older Porsche's 99' 996 C2 but his pops will only get him a brand new car?

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i would go with Jordan's suggestion; an NSX is fun, fast, sporty AND reliable...

If not an NSX, get a Porsche Boxster... It's within the 50k range and probably one of the funnest things out there... i'm not sure how much a Boxster S is but if it's out of the price range, maybe he can lease a "certified pre-owned" one...

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    For 50K, I'd get an Audi S4, if I had to buy new. But, if it's two doors he's after, I agree with DES: Boxster.

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im not sure about brand new as in from the factory/first owner new, but Ive seen 02/03 Boxter S's for sale for under 50k. Nice cars, and the S performs really well, but its still very usable. Boxsters are so common that he shouldnt draw too much attention when he drives it as well.

9. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    I hate to let you guys know but here in pretentious DALLAS the boxster is frowned upon ... before you start flaming I own a 996TT and LOVE the boxster, expecially the "S" , I could care less what people think, once you get in it and keep the revs above 4000rpm it is one of the funnest cars to drive especially with the top down ... but try explaining that to the 18 year old kid who goes to school at SMU where everything is a status symbol ... PLEASE THIS IS NOT HOW I THINK >>> I know I know he should be happy he's even getting a car etc ...

so far the best bets are:
    Corvette
    Lotus
    Audi S4 (my favorite)

BY the way every girl at SMU drives a Boxster ... I'm giving you this info so you can see it from his point of view ...

10. cohiba_man

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    QUOTE:"haven't heard or seen the new Lotus ... guess I could do a search "

Do that or have him do one, its going to be 39K and it out handles/ is faster than/ brakes better/ than a 360. Looks very cool too. I'm sure someone can post the Road and Track article about it that is on the web somewhere.

11. cohiba_man

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Then SMU is where I shall go to school :)

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jordan - LMAO...!

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    A girl that lived near me when growing up was always spoiled. It was one of these families that always had three more cars than licensed drivers, and none of the cars was ever allowed to age more than a year. She decided to go to SMU, at which point her Mustang convertible wasn't good enough. So, a BMW it was. Well, now that we're in our mid 30s, she's a fat pretentious divorced hag with skin ruined from the tanning bed she had as a teenager in her bedroom.

Phew, that felt good.

Turbo--dare the kid to get something original. Not because it's rare and expensive with instant brand recognition, but because it's original and shows personality. SMU is a dog and pony show, and I've never understood the mentality that craves to be a part of that. So your dad can afford to buy a car made by some large auto manufacturer. Wow. That sure makes YOU something! Hey, guess what. You go to SMU. The fact that daddy can afford college these days seems more of a status symbol than a financed car.

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not to go off on a tangent, but what colour is the sky in this world where parents buy their kids Porsches, BMWs, Audis, Vettes etc. (not even used ones BTW)?

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    How about this. There's a high school near here where many of the kids have new, expensive cars. Parking at the school is at such a premium that parents rent driveway space from nearby residents for their kids for thousands of dollars a semester. Sadly, most of these kids live within walking distance, and all of the others are bus-eligible.

17. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I guess it sounds like I'm bitter, but I didn't mean it. I just see so much of that attitude where spoiled kids act like little pricks. I grew up well off, but my dad would have slapped the f**k out of me if I ever started acting like some of these kids. It's cool that your sister seems to have her head on straight.

19. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Well, if he is operating in that range, he has a lot of available options. Does he want a manual or auto? Some cars on his wish list could be...

- Corvette Z06
    - MB 210 E55 (used)
    - BMW E39 M5 (used)
    - Lotus Elise
    - Audi S4
    - Dodge Viper (used)
    - Nissan 350Z
    - Infiniti G35 Coupe

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

Oh man! SMU is quite a place. I knew a kid who went to college there - his dad founded and ran a major computer / tech company that trades on the NYSE. Needless to say - $$$

21. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    To hell with going to a school just to makre ":connections". Why not do siht for yourself?? At my school, at least half of the kids are from private highschools. 1/2 of those kids are stuck up snobs. The funniest thing is that i went to a public highschool and probably got a better education thus far than them AND it didnt cost me $25k a year for highschool. Now that im in the same college as these kids, were on the same page and i'm $100k ahead of the game. I also get better grades than these kids bc i do my stuff because i learned good work ethic from busting my ass in the hot summer sun 40+ hours a week for the past 4 summers to make money since my parents dont shower me with it, like some other ppl.
    end rant.

If this kid is 18, he probably shouldnt have a fsat car. Its just more of a liability when he inevidably gets behind the wheel drunk. hell, does he even need a car at college? I know i dont, and thats why i dont have one. Dont have the time for one,although if i did have the time (and money) i would try to pick up a 2000-01 S4.

22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You should never discount the value of connections. It is very honorable to "do sh*t yourself", but having an edge is not necessarily a bad thing.

23. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I agree that connections are a very large part of becoming successful. You can work as hard as you possibly can but if you do not get some lucky breaks (i.e. connections) you will have a much more difficult time succeeding.

As far as a young person having a nice car, it really does not bother me as long as that person respects and takes care fo the car. I cannot stand someone who just trashes their auto because it is not theirs or they did not have to pay for it:(!

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#24 maranelloman, Nov 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Twinturbo, I have to sort of agree with Tim88 here.

Tell the little spoiled brat to fix up a pimped out Civic, and to heed the words of Yoda:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Take heart college students. The Real World has this tendency of seperating the pretendors from those who are the Real Deal.

Nothing wrong with coming from money, or not. It really means very little. How you are raised, your actions, and your beliefs are what define you.

As for auto suggestions, in new sporty cars, cabrio E46 330i is an absolutely beautiful car I would not mind owning at any time. E39M5 is also one to have (have to go CPO though) for the ages.

As for hard sports cars, prove you're REALLY a man and drive a pink Miata or S2000.

The Boxster S is the enthusiest's choice, despite public opinion (MORONS! It's a great car!)

Used/COP Esprit V8 or Elise probally makes the top of my list in teh $50k range though. It is the real deal. He had better be prepared for the real deal...

Best!
    Ben.