Loose Tunnel and Shifter | FerrariChat

Loose Tunnel and Shifter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bill308, Jun 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    The shifter housing/casting in my 78 GTS is loose and it seems like it should be rigid. What I mean is that the shifter gate is rigidly screwed to a cast housing and sandwiches some of the tunnel top surface in the process. When I shift, the shift gate and tunnel move a little making alignment of the shift linkage imprecise. It turns out that the fiberglass tabs that fix the tunnel to the floor, are not as rigid as they should be and allow the tunnel to move and deflect somewhat. Still, it seems the shifter housing should be rigidly fixed to the floor in some positive way and this should lend some support to the fiberglass tunnel, not the tunnel lending support to the shifter casting. Am I missing something? How do I fix/adjust this?

2. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    #2 bill308, Jun 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had to replace the water valve slider switch on the center console and in the process discovered that the 4-bolts holding the upper and lower halfs of the shifter housing were very loose. These bolts pass thought the housings and mesh with a pair of nut plates in the floor, one for the front 2-bolts and one for the rear 2-bolts. Only 3 of the 4-bolts are accessible by lifting the upper tunnel plate. The left front bolt can only be accessed by loosening and lifting the tunnel cover. Anyway, it's done now and everything is rigid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I haven't had that happen to my car, but that's good to know! Thanks for sharing.