MBA Career advice in Finance... | FerrariChat

MBA Career advice in Finance...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kenny, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone here work in the financial industry within Fixed Income Portfolio Management or Fixed Income Sell-Side trading?? I am currently a second year MBA looking for job opportunities either on the east coast or west coast, and was looking to gauge what the job market is like in this sector, or find new opportunities I might have overlooked in my job search. Anyone who works or has worked in this sector and would like to contribute any opinions or advice is welcome to do so.

TIA...

2. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul

Kenny, try looking at private agencies owned by the states. TX has UTIMCO (Univ. of TX Investment Mgmt Co). Also all of the state retirement systems are a great place to start. If those do not work out, the big wirehouses (Morgan Stanley, Merrill, Solomon) will always have a need. Try moneycareers.com, they have quite a bit, I also have the name of some headhunters that work in that area. Email me if you need them.

3. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I know somebody who does mortgage hedging. If you have a good handle on swaps, floors, collars, and other applicable secondary mortgage market stuff I will forward your resume.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    GuardsRed, you have mail.

Paul, thanks for the website. Actually, my MBA career advisor is trying to put me in touch with an alum over at TIAA-Cref that manages all the pension money for teachers in the US...

5. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam

Sent you mail. Good timing...things are picking up in the financial industry...you will have about 4-6 years to get entrenched and then hold on for the layoffs...

6. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi kenny,

I am a prop trader at Goldman Sachs in London trading Fixed income and fx mainly. Once upon a time I was a dentist!!! The bond and fx and credit derivative businesses are performing strongly as is commodities. There are plenty of opportunities but there is only one very good way of improving your chances at the bulge bracket firms and that is to get onto an intern programme.

These are increasingly becoming the hiring method of choice as they allow us to get a stong feel for the candidates abilities and type of character. We are finding that MBAs are getting much better at rehearsing for one off interviews and so its more difficult to differentiate between candidates. The intern programmes usually last 2 months and are a great insight for you to really get a feel for what area you might like and also where we think you would perform best.

You should make every effort to get on one of these as the percentage of actual hires increases dramatically from this route.

If you need more help,
    give me a shout,

good luck

Zak.

7. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Zak- I sent you an email... Fixed Income prop trading at Goldman is a very prestigious job... Having worked at DB before enrolling in school on the Fixed Income Emerging Mkts desk in NY and from my personal experience, landing one of these internships is very difficult... I was not able to land one last summer... Most interns are viewed as cost centers and not revenue generators since 2 months is way too short period of time to be able to manage a book and have any kind of P&L proving you're any good in this business... When firms tighten their belts, intern programs are the first to go...