Mille Miglia 2012 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2012

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by The Red Baron, Nov 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I see the application for entry into the 2012 Mille Miglia are due in December 18th. Anyone got plans to submit an entry, if so what car.

2. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Warren,
    Yes, if Mariannes back is ok, we'll be there again in the 212 Export..but you never know.

And you?

Ciao
    Oscar

3. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Not me.

Too many modern Ferrari s this year...this Tribute and its consequences... It s getting too big.

We ll see for 2013.

Enjoy!

4. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    If I can put aside the time I would go. Pueche's comment worries me a bit. Is this really so.

5. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    #5 elads, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    Yes, with a capital Y.

This year was a total let down... Plus too many "padestrisn" cars, between xk120, 300sl and 356 (appears to be a recent favorite) 40 pct of the field is populated. And im not even mentioning the congestion, endless sponsored, and accompanying cars cavalcade.

It's a safe way to avoid 10,000 usd !!!!!! Entry fee by planing on 2013.

Btw, every year for the past 4 years the entry fee has gone up by 800 euro, I believe. I guess someone read the fine print.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #6 Arvin Grajau, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Just out of interest, being I presume by your pic, in a modern Ferrari, find the whole thing to crowded.

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    What can you do? It's still on public roads so they can't ban other cars from following. Maybe the MM is getting victim of its own success.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the point you are making is somewhat unfair, if I am understanding correctly. The Ferrari Trubute allows owners who dont have cars elligible for the main event to take part, I for one welcome that because it gives a limited number of others the opportunity to experience this historic event.

Based on the reading I have done about the event, everyone who has a passion for Ferrari and is lucky enough to own one should try participate in this event.

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    But please keep in mind, that the MM is not (!!) an event for Ferratis ony....!

It was and still is a classic car event.

Owners of modern cars who have no clue about how drum-brakes work etc. should go to Mugello drivin`their butts of....

Ciao!
    Walter

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No, it became a victim of Mercedes, BMW & Ferrari S.p.A.....

Ciao!
    Walter

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It's so tiring to hear this story over and over again. Modern drivers = evil, classic drivers = angels.... sigh.

I saw MM Storica drivers perform ridiculously dangerous things in 2011 WITH their drum brakes!!! Just because there are no safety features on their cars doesn't apparently mean people will drive safely.

Yes, there is an element of idiocy in the Tribute, but there is at least as much in the Storica. I felt much safer in the 2010 Tribute than I did in the 2011 Storica, and I only participated for 25% of the total distance in 2011, so lord knows how I would have felt if I had been able to finish the event.

It seems EVERYBODY is getting crazier - don't be prejudiced and blame it on the modern cars.

Onno

13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    1. There is a certain part of danger because of density of traffic, overwhelming testosterone among old drivers...with limited capabilities, too many support cars etc etc
    2. I know much more relaxed events in Italy with less cars, like Italia Classica, with better Ferrrari ( remember Venice pictures).
    3. But for the ambience nothing beats the MM, this is why Oscar wants to be there for the 3 time, Mariane back permitting, and hopefully I will be there for the 4 th time in a row, with the 3 rd different Ferrari.
    4. Still does not mean we have to make it dangerous. In fact, it is one of the few very long distance rally, specially the first night and Terminillo and of course Rome-Breescia. But does not have to be done at high speed, and no one is forced to overspeed to wait for hours at check points and lunches/snacks. So it is a matter of personal discipline, but it is not either a relaxed rally, there is a lot of tension and attention needed as primarily braking distances are very different between modern cars and classic ones. And from a barchetta you see nothing if you have an SUV or a van in front, and therefore it is dangerous .
    But it is worth it so long we don't hurt ourselves or anybody else, s much as flying to Pebble Beach is worth it even transatlantic for 3 days, or Le Mans classic, or Tour Auto , all with Italia Classica and Goodwood my preferred events . Never tried though Pekin Paris, not Liege Rome liege ,,for long distance driving!

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I completely agree with you. And I will still participate in future events, as I believe I am largely in control of my own destiny and I don't do the things I see other drivers do.

All I am saying is that it is a myth that it is just people in modern cars creating dangerous situations. The participants themselves are also doing that.

Onno

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow. this is certainly a telling statement.....you dont want to hang out with cars that arent worth multiple millions, but you would really like to save yourself the 10k entry fee, and bemoan the steadily higher prices. hmmm
    well not all of us have multi-million dollar cars of pre 57 vintage that are eligible, and that we would want to risk on this tough and exciting rally. but i must say that if you do not want to share the road with the rest of us, i for one, will be happy to accomodate your wishes.

16. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    #16 elads, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    I think you read my post wrong. It's ok to debate but I think you are taking us where we are not meant to go.

The mm should be a coureful and very diverse event. It has lost it's colorfulness as too much corporate involvement means that certain makes (see post above from wbaumer) get far too much representation. Thus 356 and the like get an easy time. And vintage Ferrari maserati, alfa etc, shy away. That's the trend, no debating this point.

I don't think it's a multiple million issue, you could eneter and enjoy the rally, even with 85k siata or fiat. It's not money it's the color diversity that is missing.

I hope this helps to clarify the post.

Elad

17. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    IMO they don't mix on events like this (oil/water) Same issues in Australia thats why a carbie group was formed to get the older car people away from the red shirts/post box latte crowd.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    IMO (humble, even) this "non-mixing volatility" is in some purists' heads. Go to Brescia and find that generally there is actually very little animosity.

The only time I've seen it has been on F-chat.

Onno

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Know idea over there,in Australia does not work,to many gold chains and post box red cars.

20. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    The cost does keep rising for this event and I guess it will continue too, until the numbers dwindle. For me in USD;
    10,000 entry
    5,000 shipping car
    5,000 air fare return for 2
    2,000 hotel accommodation & food
    x,xxx what the wife will spend

$22,000 for one week. Oh plus insurance of a few thousand.

Makes the whole thing overpriced unless the event is combined with some other events over say a 2 or 3 month period. However then you have to add car storage into the figures which in total is really a small portion.

21. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    Hi
    I believe your shipping costs are too low, transport, insurance, potential technical support.

It's an easy 30k for a non classic and 50k for a classic with tech support.

Normally worth it (at least once) but see above for the
    present state of affairs.

Elad

22. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Elad, thought you would have said wife's costs to low. Should be $xx,000 instead of $x,000

23. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm entering a 54 Jag XK120 with a Hong Kong/Singapore flag. Hope I get accepted.

Bucket list experience.

24. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #24 The Red Baron, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You have picked a difficult year regards numbers. However all the best anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #25 275gtb6c, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    I never checked it but are the actual numbers according to the planned ones?. Perhaps somebody with plenty of time can go through the last years entrants and forecasts...:)
    They would love to have 212 exports according to their latest changes....well, we'll see, for now I wish everybody good luck in this Italian tombola,
    Ciao
    Oscar

Ps regarding costs, if you live on the right side of the pont, costs are considerebly lower....of course you can drive yourself and support teams are pretty useless unless you have two left hands. We did the MM twice without any support and major things cant be repaired anyway. Just make sure your car is ready some weeks before the MM and drive as much as possible. So the estimates above are half of 20k if done without support, living in europe and easyjet...insurance is included.