Plastic/Fantastic 612 | FerrariChat

Plastic/Fantastic 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Napolis, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Last night I saw the 612. At the same event was a friends "SuperAmerica" as well as a recent F1. A while ago Allan mentioned he didn't like the new Ford GT as it looked like a Tonka toy.
    I do think there is a trend towards a plastic look rather than a metal and leather look. Tecno look. I realize things change but I'm not so sure that this new look is for me. Even though Lambo is edgier somehow the Murcie and Gallardo don't feel as plastic. The new Bentley doesn't either nor does the Maser. JMO

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I agree...the dash photos look like a metalized plastic rather than an alloy surface. Actually look cheap. The blue and tan dashes I've seen thus far just don't look classy at all. The rear end is also a bit "soft" or ill defined, compared to the front end/ridged fenders. Aston DB9 has much more presence ( I got my hardbound brochure today...mmmmmm)
    The Rosso had a much harder/well-defined rear (never a bad thing 8^))

The interior weirdness from Ferrari, BMW, and Porsche just doesn't suit the cars. Like a pocket knife with too much stuff you'll never use.

How's the P-car, Jim? looked good the other day in the posts.

Lee

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Napolis.....

I agree with you that it seems to be somewhat of a trend by some manufacturers. Personally I put the blame upon the drive for profit derived thru the "decontenting" process. It's hard to take things away and reduce quality (or the perception thereof) as well as it is probably cheaper to make things out of plastic in this segment of the marketplace without people noticing the changes.

The "Chryslerization" of the once great Mercedes-Benz is just one noteworthy example for the MBA class books in a decades time. I agree with you about the Maser's however.

Sfumato mentioned interiors which is where I have noticed it the most as well. I still haven't seen the 612 in the flesh yet and probably won't for a long time..........

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Lee
    It's getting close. Priming is done and unreachable parts (scoop interior) are final painted. On monday we're going to final rivet scoops and then we'll put on final two coats. Back to my shop in Jan. for final assembly. At the moment we're trying to figure out brake ducts as when we assembled them they seem very close to rotor. We're studing photo's and blueprints before we lock them down.
    Kds
    "In the metal" it's even more so.
    Best
    Jim

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Congrats, Jim...the ducts on the Stroll 412 are very close to the rotor, or at least they used to be. I'll check archives for refs for ya.

If you look at the rear fender shot on the other thread, once you leave the decklid, there is no definition to the panel, like the fender is melting over the taillights. Needs some hard line or something there to add definition, or to make taillights the hard line, with buttresses or something. I think it needs lights in the grille too, i.e marchals of old SF's.
    Lee

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's funny they had a friend of mine's SuperAmerica at the party as well. Now that is one beautiful car. You're right about marchals that would help. The headlight buckets look like they're out of an Altima. Flash Gordon. They did use the P4 fender crease which they carried through the headlight covers but it didn't look crisp to me. You're also right about the tail it's soft, almost melted.
    Maybe it's us, maybe we're getting old.
    I'd appreciate ideas on ducts. I am a little worried they'll hit if rotor swells. I'll post pic tomorrow.
    Best

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    After perusing the pics on the other thread, the rear fenders outboard of the trunklid do indeed seem quite indefinite, a droopy shoulder if you will. I thought that when I saw the drawings and all pics have continued the impression. The hood seems a bit long and featureless. A proto with a 550 rear end and an extremely long hood also was somewhat "cartoonish".

I like the side treatment, but as previously stated, the grille needs something, and the tail needs definition. Pretty yes, construction and performance are much better than the 456, but the details don't seem cohesive. Hallmark design, no, but I was expecting more. DB9 vs. this car will be interesting...design of DB9 takes it, but it is down 80-90bhp. Still, it is the sum, not the elements.
    FWIW
    Lee