Questions on 348 versus 355 tires/wheels... | FerrariChat

Questions on 348 versus 355 tires/wheels...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am considering purchasing a set of 355 tires/rims to put on my 348. I understand that they 355 rims are a "direct bolt on" with no modifications necessary. However, are the 355 tires too wide for the 348? In other words, are the tires from a 355 going to extend out beyond the fender arches of my car?

I saw an earlier post of a 348 w/360 wheels mounted, and they looked ridiculous on the back because they stuck way too far out from the car.

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think you will be ok. When I was in Europe, there were many 348s running around with 355 wheels, even at the dealer in Frankfurt. I thought it looked terrific, and I don't recall that the wheels stuck out at all as the 348 and 355 are quite similar.
    hth
    rt

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey husker,

You'll be just fine with the 355 rims. Remember that the base body of the 355 is the same as the 348. The 355 rims are 10" wide in the back. I have seen 348's with 512tr rims on them, and those fit just fine. The 512tr rims are 10.5" wide in the rear. How ever I think that the rear fender may have needed to be rolled. Anyway the 355 rims are a direct bolt on. However you may need to get the 355 wheel bolts, due to the offset of the rims.

Almost forgot, no the 355 rims will not stick out past the fender. The only way that they will is if you have spacers that make them stick out more. But if you just mount them on with no spacers they will fit just fine.

4. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #4 348paul, Jun 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just to ditto Ernie’s post - 355 wheels will work fine. 348 lugs are 55mm under the head and 355 are 52mm - should be OK but check that the extra 3mm that protrudes through the hub does not foul up on anything.

Regarding offsets of the wheels, I thought this might be useful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I noticed in "Huskerntexas" profile that he has a 1990 348ts - I believe the offsets for the rear are going to be different then the later GTS/GTB/Spider models.

I know they widened the rear track to improve stability in the later models.

I think 348Paul's chart is based ont he later models but I am not sure.

BTW I am one of those people with 360 wheels on my 348 Spider and my tires are wider but they do not go any wider than the body of the car. They fit within the wheel well in all directions. Yes, it is tight but it does not protrude unless you add additional spacers. I can add a photo later if you want to see.

Becasue I have the Spider I had to purchase new wheel bolts for the rear only. The originals are to long for the 360 wheel. The wheel bolts on the earlier model may be perfect.

6. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Good point David.

The figures below for the 348 are based on the cars without the wider track. One easy way to tell if you have the wider track wheels on the rear is to take out a lug bolt from one of the rear wheels if it measures 80mm under the head - you have the late USA 94 spider/speciale rims. The offset for these wheels is +43mm.

Paul

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    95 348 spider with 10" rear and 295/30 tire. fits perfect and huge improvement handling.

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

OK guys, you lost me with all of offsets, spacers jargon. I don't have a clue what any of that means. My 348 is a 1990. Are you all suggesting that I will actually see an improvement in overall handling by switching to the 355 rims? Why so? (In layman's terms). Thanks everyone!!

9. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    What is being talked about ( off set ) has to do with the shape or depth of the rim / wheel. The measurements are describing how indented the shape of the rim / wheel is. Kind of like a deep bowl sitting next to a bowl the same size but much shallower. Get it.

When you place the rim on the car it has to go over the caliper, etc.. and line up in the wheel well properly.

Sometimes people add spacers in between the rim and the mounting point to make the tire sit further out from the car.

Ferrari re-designed the later production 348's with the rear wheels further out to improve the rear tracking at high speeds. They did not just add spacers but re-designed the whole suspension.

I think this is the correct way to describe.

As for better handling - I also notice better grip with the 360 wheels - I would say it is the simple fact you have "a lot" more rubber touching the ground and a slightly lower profile also.

The 348 is a wonderful handling car the 18" wheels just make it little better. I actually like using the stock wheels for track events as the car becomes more tossable without going beyond the limit. I could probably achieve slightly better times with the 18's but it just feels more fun with the 17's.

Does any of this make sense ??

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Does any of this make sense ??[/QUOTE]

Yes, it makes perfect sense! I just thought the darn 355 wheels looked nice. I can buy a set completely refinished, with bridgestones attached with around 800 miles on them, for $2500 cash. Sounds high. Thoughts?

11. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I'm with you - I bought mine because I thought the factory 348 wheels were the worst part of the car. Personally I thought the 360 wheels gave it a modern look without destroying the lines.

Actually - I just liked it also !!

The stuff about offsets was learned while trying to find out if they would fit.

I can't say if the price is good or not as I have not checked the maket in a while. Try a search here and see if you find anything. E-bay might help a little.

Word to the wise - DO NOT sell your 348 rims - you will need them later when you sell the car. If you don't have them you may take a hit on the re-sell because the next owner may want it original.

12. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

i was looking for a set of 355 wheels for my 348, didnt like the way the 348 wheels fit in the wheel wells, instead i got a set of hill engineering spacers, 20mm for the front and 30mm for the back, now i love the 348 wheels, its not the wheels that look bad its just the way they fill the wheel wells, gives the car a completely different look