Replace Door Release on 348 | FerrariChat

Replace Door Release on 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by colo348, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 colo348, Dec 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Group,
    I've had problems with my doors locking via the button on the console. I finally traced the issue down to the "Door Locking Release Actuator". My question is has anyone replaced one of these guys? I have had my door apart, inside panels and stakes, the space is very tight. If you have suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks for any advice.
    Jim Hilton
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I had to replace the link on the back of the lock cylinder. It was a BEAR! At the time I didn't know that the strakes came off for access from the outside. It still looks like a tough job with no shortcuts.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Colo348

There are a couple of ways to get to that part. The first is to remove the door pannels and access it from the inside. There is also a piece of plastic that covers the window assembley from the inside, that needs to get pealed back. It is better to do this with the window down then roll it up after you get the pannel off, and the plastic. This way the window won't be in the way. The other is to take off the side strakes. This eliminates messing with the plastic. There are four allen screws that hold the strakes in place. Loosen those then slide the strakes out. My advice is to do both. This way you have room to work from either side. The last way is more extream, and I don't recomend it, which is to take the entire window and the mechanism out of the door giving you the maximum room. The reason I don't recomend doing this is because it is a pain in the butt to realine the window to the correct possition so that it closes properly. If you do decide that you wanna take the entire window assembley out, you have to do it with the window rolled down. After you have taken all of the bolts off that hold the inside window frame on the door, what you have to do to get the window out is to rotate it. You rotate the rear, the side closest to the lock, up and the front, the side closest to the hindges, down. Move the front of the assembley as far forward and down in the door as you can, lift up the rear and rotate it clock wise, if you are on the drivers side, as you slide it up and out. After you take that out you will have a huge amount of room to get to the lock area. Anyway good luck, lets us know how it goes.

4. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ernie, Thanks for the data and the time. Royce Gracie is a hero of mine. We use his techniques every chance we get at our Kemp Dojo. I'll post how I get this issue solved.
    Domo,
    Jim Hilton

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't let Royce just be a hero. Come to So Cal and get a work out in with the man himself. Gracies and Machados are all over So Cal. Come out for a work out and track day!

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Royce is cool, actually they all are nice guys. I haven't trained with Royce but I do train in Rickson's school. The Machados are great guys too. Speeking of Kempo, we used to rent a space from the Flores brothers until we got our own location. Jesus Flores used to train with us until will left.