Sportsmen of the Year | FerrariChat

Sportsmen of the Year

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I don't think this has been brought up, but I found Sports Illustrated's Men of the Year choices to be interesting. Remember back in the spring when they did the article about Michael Schumacher, and how he's the biggest superstar in sports "we've never heard of"? At the time I wrote them, saying it was an indictment of their magazine if they felt their readership was unfamiliar with probably the planet's most successful and well-known athlete. After all, isn't it their function to cover the biggest and the best? Naturally my letter never made it to print. And now, I can't say I'm really surprised at their oversight of MS as a MOY selection. He broke one of the longest-standing records in sports, yet it barely registered on their radar. But rest assured, the moment there's a racing-related tragedy, it's front-page news for SI.

2. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Thats Bull****. SI can get f-ucked. Merry Christmas

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I would hardly take any offense as Sports Illustrated is a brainless magazine with the writing quality of a 2nd grader.

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    The US or North American sports fan is virtually oblivious to things that happen outside of the US. This is true of all sport not just F1. In Europe, just as many people turn out to watch the Special Olympics as the regular olympics. That is amazing and says alot about the European flavour. This is also seen in Canada. Most of Canada has little interest in F1, but in Quebec (which has a distinct Euro flavour) F1 is huge and so is the support of karting.