Stereo Upgrades for 355 Spider | FerrariChat

Stereo Upgrades for 355 Spider

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jdb, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Two weeks ago, someone broke into my 355 and stole my Alpine receiver/amp/CD controller and pulled out the gauge cluster in the process.

Now I'm looking to replace the stereo and upgrade the speakers while I'm at it. AutoGallery referred me to Keving Wright, who got my gauge cluster back in place in no time. I'm hoping to have him upgrade the receiver/amp/speakers. Has anyone dealt with Kevin before? Also, any recommendations on specific equipment that works well in the 355?

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Jeremy,
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. That's the first time I've heard of anyone doing that! I haven't dealt with Kevin before, but I did upgrade my stereo in my 348. While it's not exactly the same as the 355, the acoustics are about the same. I used an Alpine head unit (CDA-9811) and amp, MB Quart speakers, 6.5" in the doors and 1" tweeters in the vents (PSD 216). I then had a custom factory finish box built to fit in between my driver/passenger seats... with a 6" Rockford Fosgate sub-woofer... it adds A LOT to the overall sound of the car!

Others have placed a sub in the foot-well area, either on the driver or passenger side... but based on the results I got, I recommend the rear. By the way, the MBQ speakers require you to put in some spacers or custom grill to fit. They protrude slightly. But whomever you trust to put this in should know how to do that.

Other recommended audio equipment for these cars include McIntosh amps, Paris Audio and Focal speakers, and a few others... more $$.... I think you can accomplish the same sound for slightly less. Just IMHO.

Good luck!
    Byron

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    If you want a second opinion on your options, I'd recommend you give Carl or Donald a call at La Jolla Audio (in La Jolla ... duhh!) 800.467.6545, just for gigles.

I had LJA install some Alpine equipment in my Mercedes and I am very pleased with the support/service. Cleeve in Service is bar-none when it comes to repairs. When I have been at their shop, I've noticed Diablos and 360s from Symbolic getting gear installed.

I believe Carl is a F-car owner as well.

Good luck.

4. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #4 jdb, Jan 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got a new stereo from Kevin Wright. Check out the matching fly yellow amp cover and custom sub enclosure, made specifically to fit a 348/355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    NIce way to come back JDB- not just a replacement a better aftermarket one!

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is really nice looking! :)

7. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    jdb, that is really nice.

Would you mind sending me Kevin's phone number? You can email it to me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Ron

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just had mine done but more basic (speakers, amp, head unit) but nothing custom.

I believe it's either "Preferred Auto Sound" or "Precision Auto Sound" in Costa Mesa (on Newport Blvd.) They did a great job, I'm happy. Was referred to them by Ferrari of Orange County (they send customer cars there).

The have a photo album of the cars they done, a lot of Diablos, a ton of 360s and a few Maranellos. In quite a few of the cars they did custom speaker boxes, etc. matched to teh interior, etc.

9. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    If looks really nice jdb. Sorry to hear about the mishap, but it still turned out good in the end.

10. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Ron -- I sent you Kevin's contact info. He did a great job.