Swimming pool alarms | FerrariChat

Swimming pool alarms

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by shifter, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 shifter, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Our new house has a kidney shaped in ground pool and we have an almost swimming 3 1/2 year old. Error on the side of caution here, so thinking of adding a pool alarm. We do have a fence around the yard that’s compliant (self closing and latching) but no fence immediately around the pool. We have door sensors as well from the alarm system that beeps and tells us which exterior doors are opened.

Any recommendations on in-pool type alarms? I was looking into the new Coral Manta but have yet to find an unbiased consumer with any experience with it. It also seems to detect late.

Is there any product that works well?

Last option is for an automatic pool cover. Had one on my previous home’s pool and it worked great, required regular maintenance and adjustments, but also very expensive to install on an existing irregular shaped pool.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Most children(toddlers) who fall in a pool is nothing like portrayed in fiction. Almost always they slip silently into the water, and below the surface. The alarm would have to be so sensitive to upset it would go off with a modest breeze. The idea of thrashing, and bouncing, and all that is complete BS. One day, I was sitting in the back yard, and carefully watched my 2YO boy simply walk over to the pool, step in, fall softly off the step and into the water. It was quite the eye-opener.

I have had many homes with pools, and many kids around. There are a couple things that work well. First, have two separate barriers between the pool and the home. A self latching door is one thing, but another gate, or barrier after that door is best. Second - don't rely on any technology to parent. Third, get kids in the pool when young, and teach them how to get out. Even a three year old can learn to swim to the edge and shout. Maybe even a 2 year old. Fourth, any time there is more than one child in the pool and only one adult, if any one child needs attention, all children have to get out and go with the parent. Never, ever delegate pool safety to another child, even a teen(cell phone era, even more important).

DGPF, xotik and shifter like this.
  3. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Pool alarms should be viewed as an additional tool to ensure safety, but as docmirror said, aren't foolproof. A locked fence is the best deterrent.

shifter likes this.
  4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the feedback. It’s agreed that my best option is to continue to focus on my sons swimming abilities and parental oversight when outside.

After much research I agree the floating pool alarms will not be suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To close this, I went with a pool net. Don’t have to worry about fence climbing. The shape of my pool wouldn’t allow a SafeT-Pool automatic cover.

Meets ANSI standards and local code for pool safety, and It’s not as noticeable as a barrier fence. My wife can take the net off in 6 mins and put it on in 8 mins. We are working on a process to optimize install time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk