Yet another 360 CS Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

Yet another 360 CS Exhaust Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scotty, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I need some help from folks he have heard and/or own a 360 CS. As noted on this board, Ferrari is making the 360 CS exhuast an option on the "stock" 360. My car is early enough in the order/build process that I can likely add this exhaust. My dealer is working with FNA to determine the cost of the option.

My question is this: I find the stock 360 to be a bit quiet, but my wife hated an aftermarket exhaust that I had on my M3 so much I had to swear not to try to put a (Tubi, Stebro, Capristo, etc.) on this car. Because the CS exhaust is a factory option, it allows my to obey the letter of her law (if not the spirit).

My question is not about tonal quality but about increased volume in the cockpit with the Challenge Stradale exhaust. Slightly louder? Definitely louder? Straight pipes louder? I can get away with some increase, but not a lot. I know that even volume (unless someone has a sound pressure meter) is subjective, but I would appreciate any feedback that is available.

Thanks--Scott

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Wow the lengths you married guys have to go through for a little raw sound ;)

It'd be hard to compare the sound of a CS exhaust as the standard 360 is more insulated than the CS. I'd bet the CS exhaust on a 360 would sound rather tame in comparison to a Tubi etc. Not to mention that I'm sure it weighs more. I'd make a switch to the Tubi or other when the new car arrives as you could claim it was what you ordered. Who'd know the difference?

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It sounds like the Stradale exhaust will do it for you Scott, because:
    a) It has the word 'Ferrari' stamped on it and is therefore legitimate
    b) It has the vacuum operated valves of the standard Modena system

At idle it is slightly louder than the 360, and is pretty unobtrusive on the move unless you give it some moo. Then it's a 'windy' type of sound that is Tubi-loud but without so much howl. That's how it sounds in the cockpit anyway; in a tunnel it sounds bloody fantastic.

From what you descibe it seems to be a pretty good compromise. If you (or your wife) don't like it, then there are bound to be stock systems floating around from those owners fitting sports exhausts.

Kevin

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    At idle, yes, but not when the valves open. I've run a Modena + Tubi, and currently run a CS.

Again, probably not. It's pretty small; on a par with or smaller than the Tubi unit. And much lower quality I might add.

Anyone with functional hearing :)

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    if you drive in a civil manner the CS exhaust is quite tame. but when you jump on it and the valves open the CS exhaust sounds awesome! i know a lot of people love the way a tubi sounds on a modena, but i personally like the CS exhaust sound much better.

6. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm in the same boat - 360 on order, and trying to decide on exhaust. I went to the dealer, we went in the back and fired up a CS, then a 360 with Tubi and a stock car.

I was not in the cars but standing behind them while the dealer blipped the throttle. I found the CS to be more raw and race car like. When he blipped, it barked. Stock was tame and to me the Tubi was just right - less bark - more of a ripping sound. Again, I was not in the cars. I was trying to gauge how much my neighbours will hate me.