1984 Boxer BBi side mirror repair ! | FerrariChat

1984 Boxer BBi side mirror repair !

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PINNIN512, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I am having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do with the door mirrors pivot hinge. I believe most of the late model Boxers with the Turbo Vitalone ( specifically designed just for the BBi ) mirrors are all broken by now from age. The metal used is poor quality pot metal and i have seen several that break at the same place , the middle hinge that is seperated to the door side. Has anyone tried repairing or finding a different hing all together. I am thinking of making some that are more reinforced with more material - also anyone have experiance with metal fatigue and what metal to use. I work as a CG designer and make parts in Alias and Catia mostly rapid prototype with plastics but can design anything!

Any information would be appreciated.
    Dave

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Dave - your suspicions are correct. One of mine is broken, although I have been able to tighten it down to keep it steady. Let me know if you produce new knuckles.

Jim S.