1999 SL500 ?'s | FerrariChat

1999 SL500 ?'s

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by G-Car-Man, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    I am looking at a 1999 SL500 with 40k miles on it. My cousin works with the guy that is selling it and claims he is a fanatic about it. He is asking 29k for the car (seems like a good price). What are some of the weak links in this car? Anything really problematic? Please no references about the dated style b/c I prefer the last generation SL's looks (obviously the technology is better in the 2003's+). Thanks for any info!

2. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Somneone must have some experience with these cars?!?!?!?!

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I had a Silver 99 with the AMG sport package and never had a problem with it. 29k is pretty cheap for that car. Does it have Xenon lights or sport package? Only other options were panoramic top and maybe some little things.

4. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    All I know about the car is that it is black and has both tops... I will get more info tomorrow morning; he is supposed to call...

5. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    My mom loves them, she's had a 96 then a 2000 she now drives a 2003. They're great cars and all have been problem free. Some options you can get with them are cd changer, xenon lights, side skirts and sport rims, built-in phone. Very smooth and comfortable car, adequate power and nice styling. That price of $29,000 does seem kinda low. If the car is clean I would definately go for it.

6. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    I had a 1999, sport package, xenon, panorama roof the whole deal. I bought it used in spring 02, sold it in Sept 03 after putting about 6,000 miles on it. Car had 25k on it when I bought it for 55k, sold it for 37k. One of the worst cars I have ever owned. The seats are horrible for anything over 20 minutes, I mean painful. There was literally a new problem every week, mostly minor stuff but annoying. Off the top of my head: entire electrical system went out twice, leaving me stranded twice(waiting 4 hours for the tow each time), roof broke six times, bumper fell off, trunk would not open, dash lights replaced twice, sun visors fell off three times, and some other things I forget now. I don't know if my car was just a bad seed or what, but I would never buy a Benz again. Car looked great, had decent power, that's about it on the positive side.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Boy that price does seem AWFULLY low. Why did the owner want to get rid of it if he was a fanatic about it?

8. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Found out he was trading it in on a Porsche and a friend said that he would buy it off him at the dealer price instead... Friend backed out at the last minute after he bought the other car so was unable to trade it in... According to my cousin the guy does not really care if he sells it or not... He said I could have it at what the dealer was willing to give him for it. I am going to look at it on Thursday...