308 advice | FerrariChat

308 advice

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by dinoswim, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoswim

dinoswim Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    I will be purchasing a 308 in the next 6 months. Unfortunately, I grew up driving 250's, 365's, etc., but I don't have the funds. In any event, I've driven Quattrovalvole's and earlier injected cars; I haven't driven a carbeurreted 308. Since I won't be doing any major service myself, should I just stick with 1983 or newer, or can I consider the 1977-1980. SCM has me all confused..

2. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sorry to hear you won't be looking for a 250 or 365 for a while. But a 308 will be quite rewarding.

Personally I think the choice would be either a Quatrovalve or a carb car. If you want a more finely appointed, more fully developed, better optioned Ferrari, then the QV is the ticket (bad choice of words)

There is no doubt the early cars are less complex, lighter, less optioned, and more simply appointed. But there is no truth to statements that they are any less tractable or less reliable than an injected car with electronic ignition.

3. dinoswim

dinoswim Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks... Do you have any thoughts about B vs. S? I prefer the looks of the B, but like the ability for open air! Someone suggested black?

4. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I wanted a 308QV GTB, but I could not locate an example worth buying. The 308QV GTB is a very rare car and owners are not willing to part with their car. Since I could not locate a 308QV GTB after 3 years of looking, I found a 308QV GTS. While the lines of my GTS are nearly as pleasing as the GTB (IMHO), you cannot beat driving a GTS with the top off on a nice sunny day.

My advice is to find the best car you can, either a GTB or a GTS, and buy it. Good luck.

Ken

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Carbs rule!!!

All '76, '77s will be GTBs.

1st 900 or so '76 are fibreglass.

Catalytic convertors went on in '78, with associated engine compartment temperatures.

As stated, once GTS was introduced, GTB numbers were smaller, thus harder to find.

Have fun looking!

My '77 308GTB is an early steel car. PM if I can be of any help. I have been looking for a second one and know of a few.

6. dinoswim

dinoswim Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    What did you find wrong with the other cars? I've seen a tendency for door rust- should I worry about it, or not? Are 308 owners as insane as 911 people about paint? What's up with the wheels? I prefer the stock wheel, but keep hearing that finding tires to fit is impossible.

7. dinoswim

dinoswim Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    What would you do with two? Are any of the ones you've looked at decent? I either want a yellow B, with black, possibly silver. I know, buy the best, not the color.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I bought my yellow/ black for color, then fixed everything else!!!

Unintentionally, perhaps! You just missed a clean one in the New York area, I talked with the guy he was firm on $35K, it had 17" rims which were too big IMO. He obviously disagreed. Euro spoiler on a US car also. Sigh.

The only tire nightmares are the metric rims, which are like 16.5 inch or 15.5" diameter! The dinosaur of the modern Ferrari world.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You need at least two, so one can go for parts!!!! j/k.

Yellow gets tiring after a while. Kinda like dating Mary Lou Retton. Too dam_ cheery! Some days I'm in a darker mood.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know of a '76 Red/black GLASS car. Co. Springs. 78K miles on it, though.

11. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I have a black on black 78 gts....blacks ok...but it is a pain to keep up...birds just seem to love black cars. Black interior gets a little toasty in the summer. I've had the car about 10 years...IMO carbs are the way to go..with an upgrade to an electronic ignition (who needs all those points) and a euro ansa exhaust w/o those damn cats. You almost got lucky this weekend...I was having a hard time replacing the exhaust donuts (one was competely toast) and was cursing on what a PITA it can be to work on versus a Porsche...I threatend to sell it during the job several times...to which my wife said, "you'll never sell that car..who are you kidding"

Paint is terrible on the early cars...if it hasn't been repainted yet it will probably have cracked lacquer paint...I have only had mine painted in a couple of sections..eventually I will have it refinished. The doors are a rust pit...only permanent solution I have found is reskinning with fibreglass skins or the later 328 galvanized skin...cutting and patching won't work..it comes back. My car was repaired for rust in the doors in 1980...just two years from new..that last 1 inch of door skin has absolutely no drainage.

good luck in your search...you'll enjoy your 308...they are fun...despite some of the problems (quirks?)

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I have a '83 308 GTB. It was a deal that I simply could not pass up, and have not regretted it. During Jersey summer months when it's driven most, I wish for a GTS! The A/C is useless, even though I have it serviced every year. I believe the joke is a woman rides in a GTB in an evening dress and rides topless in a GTS. Sorry, I can't attest to the validity of that one.

I do have a Red/Tan (Tobacco in Ferrari parlance) and love the colors.

Mine did have a slight rust bubble that did return on the bottom-rear of the driver's front wheel well. I understand this is quite common. I have had some slight signs of rusting around the rear fender well lips...I suspect where road debris kicked-up & chipped the paint. nothing of significance and readily treated.

Mine came with factory 16" wheels, so I didn't have to worry about converting from metric or the 14".

It does have some std 308 issues, that I'd be happy to relate off-line.

Like Ken says....Buy & Enjoy!