308 oil pressure problem | FerrariChat

308 oil pressure problem

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari Boy, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    My dad has a 1985 308 GTSi QV. We have been noticing something different lately with the car. Whenever we stop, the oil pressure drops from 80 to 40 very quickly. Then when we start driving again, it goes back up. This only seems to happen when the car is idle. If anybody knows anything about this, please tell us. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    David,

It sounds like the oil filter has collapsed. Have him do an oil change along with a new filter. That should fix it.

Matt

3. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Hey thanks Matt. My dad thought that he had to have the oil changed but did not think about the oil filter. We'll probably try and get that fixed as soon as possible.

BTW do know what would cause the oil filter to collapse?

David

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    David,

The failure of a filter can be traced to the Manufacture (non-OEM) and hard driving.

Filters such as the fram PH2804-1 and the Fram HP-1 are know to fail. Also the K&N has failed before.

The most consistant filter is the UFI (ferrari OEM) and the Baldwin B253

Stay away from all the other "cross-reference" brands

Good Luck.

5. DynastyD_308qv

Nov 24, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron Couch Jr.
    Matt,

I did have a "fram" on the car. I just purchased the car about 4 months ago... had a GREAT service history from Larry at Ferrari Tech, and assumed that the Owner went to FT as well for the Oil change. It looks like the prior Owner went to "jiffy lube" for the last change and used 20w 50 oil.

I ended up changing the filter to a Baldwin and the Oil (with son... his first experience) to Mobile 1 Sinthetic 15w 50. Was well worth it as a teaching / learning experience. Car Oil pressure is holding strong.

Next we will cut the filter in half and hopefully see the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron