308 QV heater core removal | FerrariChat

308 QV heater core removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    What is the proper procedure for removal of the heater cores on a 308QV? I suspect a tiny leak in one of my cores which is not visible in the box. I'd like to take out each one for a thorough inspection. The passenger side one has an ac component in front of it. Does this need to be removed to get the core out?

The reason I suspect a small leak/seepage in this location is because of a very unusal symptom. Specifically, I get a very strong odor of coolant in the cockpit upon making spirited turns--left or right. The smell lasts for a few seconds and then dissipates. It doesn't even happen if the turn is taken slowly and it never happens while cruising straight ahead. The odor is distinct and is definitely inside the cockpit. I suspect it comes through one of the vents, which is , of course connected to the heater boxes. I checked all of the heater hoses ans valves and all look clean and tight. I don't get why this would occur on turns only! Also, I detect no leakage on the ground and the coolant level hasn't gone down.

Any thoughts on this matter would be helpful as well as some instruction on the core removal. I'll likely buy a uv light kit soon as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I had a similar coolant smell in my 308. Thought it was a core, turned out to be a slow leak from the lower rad tank, soaked the foam under it and the air intake for the heater is right in the same area. just a thought. the right core will be harder to yank with the a/c there but cant give specifics. There is one 10mm head bolt that must be removed to slide the box out and possibly a rivet or 2 and disconnect the cable and hoses.

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, Paul. That makes perfect sense. I'll specifically investigate that area.

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Anyone have any experience with removal of the heater cores? I belive I can get the driver side one out OK. I'd like to avoid moving the ac stuff out of the way on the passenger side though. Can that one be accessed from under the wheel well?