308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 10 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Tim, hope you fully recover, that does not sound too pleasant at all. Wish you lots of health and happy hours! Happy to supply two of the new ones to you but first need your help in making sure they actually work as intended :) Don't worry about the development cost, your support in testing is well appreciated!

Gordon, that should be feasible, mph->kmh conversion will be a standard option on the new boards.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. 308deano

308deano Rookie

Sep 3, 2017
    vancouver bc
    Full Name:
    dean giammarco
    Hello Adrian,
    I too am in the need of your product, when it’s available. If I could please be on the list.
    I have and 83 308 QV with Km/h in Canada speedo and odo have stopped functioning

Cheers

3. Thomas Dowell

Thomas Dowell Rookie

Sep 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas Dowell
    Hi everyone, bit of a thread resurrection (hopefully!) .
    I've just found this thread after the speedo in the 308 QV I have finished restoring in work has suffered from its 10 years sat in a dusty box in a damp Scotland! Neither the needle or the odometer work. I have replaced the sender and tested all of the connections to and from both the sender and the gauge which all check out good.
    Was any headway made with the type 2 board for these cars as id be interested in trying one out to see if it solves the problem. I do have the capability of making the board if the schematics and code are available, this would save a lot of time in reverse engineering that Adrian has clearly already done such a good job of, so hats off to you for the time and effort put in!
    Would be happy to pay for the designs etc. of course, just need a resolve as replacement speedos seem to cost all of the ££££s .

Thanks very much in advance,

Tom

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Work is mostly done, i expect the first dry run on the test bench in the next one to two weeks, depending on my work load :)
    If you have a very early QV then it might have a transitional speedo which requires a modified type 1 board.

5. Thomas Dowell

Thomas Dowell Rookie

Sep 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas Dowell
    Cool, thanks for the response. It's an 84 so possibly the type 2? I'll have to get a pic next week.
    just out of interest where are you based?

Tom

6. paul ruby

paul ruby Rookie

Feb 17, 2016
    Boalsburg
    Full Name:
    paul ruby
    Oooeee it's working! Thanks Adrian. You are my hero. I wasn't following your instructions well. But I applied the power AFTER I pushed the calibration button and
    it fired right up. See the photos. Notice I added some additional wire length to the two wires under the board. It was too hard to solder them on with the original short wires. After I set the calibration to 81MPH using your built in calibration signal, I put 184Hz into the sensor input wire from my external source and I got 100MPH
    on the speedometer. The odometer is also working and the trip odometer also works. It's exciting to me. You saved me at least $1000 in that I didn't have to buy
    a new speedometer (or what ever they cost).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper and alhbln like this.
  7. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Finally, four years after I did the board conversion from miles to the more civillized km, I'm in the process of changing disc. The nonsensical MPH disc is out, now I hope fedex delivers before the weekend. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paul ruby and alhbln like this.
  8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    A quick update, i found some issues in my hardware design while doing the software testing and redesigned the hardware accordingly. The new boards will be supplied next week, i'll continue with the software after assembling then and if all works well we can start field testing.

I used the opportunity to redesigned the configuration switches to support normal/conversion mode (mph->kmh) and also supporting the Turbo cars such as the 288 GTO and 208 GTS/GTB Turbo which have a different gearbox/sender setup. So we need just a single board/software version to rebuild Type 2 or 3 Speedos, kmh or mph and normal/turbo cars.

Crowndog, ME308 and G. Pepper like this.
  9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Me too.

I 'lost the bubble' on this one a long time ago.

I'll be needing several of Adrian's boards.

11. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Adrian, thanks for the update on this project. Thanks, too, for your relentless pursuit of excellence - revising the hardware and software this late in the game, to perfect the final product.
    I can't wait to get my hands on these and start "testing" them.... although, I'd imagine Adrian will have caught and corrected every last bug before I even install my first one.
    My current speedo is misbehaving more frequently now, requiring a sharp "thwack" on the side of the binnacle to revive it, whenever its needle drops... and most of the time, that still 'fixes' it, temporarily, of course. Once in awhile, even that won't work, and I finish my day's drive using the tachometer as my poor man's speed indicator.
    Needless to say, I'm ready as soon as you are, Adrian, so let me know when I can send you some money for a couple of these, and I'll be happy to pull over and use the mobile PayPal app to send it right away!

12. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Just my quarterly check-in with Adrian, to see if there's an update on the project?
    I'm starting my major service, and could add the speedo to the list, if it will be available anytime soon....
    Thanks, Adrian!

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Adrian, I am wondering if you are able to offer the speedo boards yet? Your post in another thread today seemed to indicate they were available, I’d be happy to arrange to buy one ASAP.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Crowndog likes this.
  14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  15. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Adrian, I'm still ready to purchase the speedo boards, as soon as they are available. Last I recall, I believe you reported that there was some software work remaining to do.
    Based on reading your post from yesterday, I think you may have been referring to the Speedo SENSOR board, rather than the Speedo HEAD board.
    Please advise on the speedometer head board.
    Thanks Adrian!

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Ditto.

Im IN for several.

17. thepadol

thepadol Rookie

Jun 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thepadol Dardarananda
    For Adrian - an unexpected savior perhaps. I've been trying to figure out my speedo which stopped working, only that it's one for an Alfa Romeo GTV6 1986. Obviously it's a Veglia Borletti and so they are all the same pedigree and oddities. It's got an RCA 92956 chip so from reading on postings here I think it's close to a type III board. Is the circuit schematic available? I'd be happy to put together my own board and modify to accomodate differences. It it requires programming, I'd be happy to undertake too.

18. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I haven't done work on Alfa GTV6 speedos yet so have no reference about the boards, maybe you could send a photo or two to my info@ mail address? Based on my notes, the RCA 92956 has not been used on any of the Ferrari Veglia Speedo type boards. Type 3 boards are based on the RCA 9296x family.

Saabguy likes this.
  19. thepadol

thepadol Rookie

Jun 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thepadol Dardarananda
    Sorry it was my typo in haste probably. The chip is RCA 92967 as you would have expected. I will send to the email address.

20. Lee Ruble

Lee Ruble Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    Hello. I am new to the Chat. I have a 1981 308 GTB with a 1988 3.2 QV engine/transmission from a Mondial.speedometer works but, reads twice the actual speed. I think the earlier chassis/speedo is expecting the speed sensor to read an 8 tooth reluctor and the later model engine/transmission has a 16 tooth reluctor. Is there a way to put a later model circuit board in the earlier speedometer?

21. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Yes, correct. The Type 2/3 Speedo boards are not compatible with the Type 1 Speedo as the internals/motor is completely different. I could modify my Type 1 replacement board to work with a 16 pulse gear box though.

22. Lee Ruble

Lee Ruble Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    If you could modify your Type 1 replacement board that would solve my problem. How do I proceed with a purchase of this modified replacement board. Thank you, Lee Ruble.

23. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Please me an email to my contact address, i'll check if i still have a board and then do the modification.

Matt Sanchez likes this.
  24. 4valves

4valves Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

25. 4valves

4valves Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    Sorry for previous and empty post.
    Hi alhbln, I followed your tread and works, but I not understand where you are with type2 card development.
    I'm 308 4valves (1984) owner, and speedo and odo dead, sender sensor is 116987 type, and it's ok, so I think that I need one of your card.
    Today I try to remove instruments and I was able to read label on speedo cover:

1giro=0,52MT
    CAPT.68.0517
    121469 8M 50

My questions are:
    Label infos are enough to know which card I need, or I've to remove completely instruments and check inside the speedo card?
    Is the new card developed and available to replace that?
    Thanks for your help.
    Best regards