328 FUEL PUMP QUESTION | FerrariChat

328 FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Discussion in '308/328' started by ginoBBi512, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    For the first few years of ownership , when I turned the key on half way to listen to the stereo, the fuel pump stayed on, I decided that this was not a good idea and stopped. I do remember that at some point, I had my car at a shop and asked why I could not sit in my car and listen to the stereo being that the fuel pump did not disengage, isnt there suppose to be a timer, so after a minute or two, if you dont actually start the car, the pump should shut off? I cant remember what the shop fixed, but I was then able to listen to the stereo without the fuel pump staying on, now, since I got my car out of the shop having the issue with the fuel pump not engaging, ( due to the bad vertical connector at the fuel board,fixed ), my fuel pump is now staying on when key is turned on, just like when I first bought the car. Any info would be appreciated. By the way, its not that important at this time that im not able to park and listen to the stereo, but it would be nice at some point if I was able to do so.

Thank you

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It should not run continuously with the key on. Check and see if the connector on the fuel distributor is unplugged, that will cause the pump to run. I have attached a short circuit description.

Attached Files:

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sounds like you've had a lot of mucking around with the fuel pump electrical system, but, if still stock, here is a picture of safety switch connector on the airflow metering device that Ron mentioned (which, via the relays, prevents the fuel pump from running when the key is "on" and the engine is not actually running):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thank you, I guess its back to the shop, but not until January, Im going to have fun driving my car over the Holidays. Im not sure if my mechanic is going to retire at the end of the year, if so I will see if Mike is doing any better in Costa Mesa, if not, there is a Ferrari dealership that worked on my friends 308 , its about 2 miles from my home.

Thank you gentlemen .

Happy Holidays