'67 Maserati Sebring Series 2 | FerrariChat

'67 Maserati Sebring Series 2

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by psw, Dec 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well I finally decided to buy a classic car, this is a car that should appreciate instead of depreciate like every other car I own or have owned :)

It's a beautiful '67 Maserati Sebring Series 2, it had a major nut & bolt restoration commissioned by the owner I bought from & carried out a few years back by Mario Lombardi in Melbourne. Matching numbers & history, the car was delivered new by Alec Mildren in Sydney in '67 & one of only 22 RHD made by the factory & the last of only 7 cars that came to Australia.

I've been reading much about Sebring's on here since I started my due diligence before the purchase. I look forward to reading & communicating about this car going forward. I mostly only read & post on the Australian section of Fchat, but thought this post was relevant in the Maserati section :)

I expect it to arrive just before Xmas as its currently in another state here in Australia being trucked over to me in Sydney on the east coast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

randkin, MK1044, Mang and 10 others like this.
  2. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beautiful- congrats! Mario does some lovely work- he worked on my previous Mexico some years back. Hi from Melbourne...

Remi

psw likes this.
  3. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Even though it is right hand drive (Left hand in the US) I am so jealous! Drive et he wheels off of it and have a great time with a wonderful Maserati!

3500 GT and psw like this.
  4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Looks fantastic in that color. Congrats! But....take away the blue cables! Maserati never used them in this color...

alfieri107 and andymont like this.
  5. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks All for the positive comments :)

6. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Walter, not sure why the previous owner or his mechanic put blue plug leads on the car, I suspect I'll change them out in the not to distant future :)

awohlmann and wbaeumer like this.
  7. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Wow, beautiful. Congrats!!

psw likes this.
  8. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just returned recently from a 500km trip with a number of other classic cars, the Sebring was just wonderful, it ran sweetly on some loverly country back roads with just one issue, that would appear not really an issue. When cruising to get to our country roads at motorway speeds of 100-110 kms/hr I found the car appeared to be overheating badly, water temp gauge really climbed up towards 200 deg, yet oil temp & oil pressure were normal. Naturally I stopped to check this out as it continued to rise uncomfortably, as an aside the radiator had just been serviced a couple of months before the trip & no sign of overheating on various shorter drives & around the city.

When I pulled over a couple of times to check, the radiator & engine did not show any signs of overheating, no coolant escaping through the overflow & I could place my hand briefly on the cap & radiator without burning a whole in my skin, we deduced it must be a faulty gauge. It's back now with the shop to check this & they have found the calibration of the sensor in the top of the engine & the gauge are quite different, we have ordered a new sensor to closely match the temp gauge calibration. My mechanic tells me the location of the sensor is not ideal right at the top of the engine,

My question is have any other 3500 or Sebring 3.7 owners had similar issues &/or made any mods to the location of the water temp sensor to rectify what appear false readings?

Just trying to be sure on this before heading off on another longer 2500km trip with 16 other classics.

9. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    You may wish to take a look at my posts ##9515 and 9521 in the K thread!

10. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks this sounds very similar to my problem :)

11. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    3500 GT, Oishi, TBigs and 1 other person like this.
  12. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Congrats !

A

13. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lovely- which part of the country are you in that you are allowed out and about?? The Mexico is gathering dust here in Victoria!

14. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sadly no driving now from Sydney :(, this was earlier in the year, I came across the photos when looking for something else & thought I'd reminisce the good time & share the photos :)

It's probably I while since you've been out, I expect you'll be doing it again sooner than us up here.

15. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fingers crossed- for both of us... at least a classic Maserati GT still looks good sitting still in the garage.

psw likes this.
  16. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Roger to that, my Sebring is in my garage that has a large glass door to our rumpus room, so I also view it quite often :D

17. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    tantumaude, Oishi, TBigs and 2 others like this.
  18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Great photos!

Ivan

psw likes this.
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    psw likes this.
  20. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Amazing...super nice.

psw likes this.
  21. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gorgeous car.
    Love the 3500GT and the Sebring.

psw likes this.
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    AM101.10.007

RHD

1992 located in Australia, owned by SPORTS & VINTAGE MOTORING SERVICE -??/AUS

1994-2002 (?) with Sue Bland -??/UK

later restored by CORLEY MOTORS -??/UK

2002 with a Mr. Cumming, now green/red, (reg. DJV 591C)

2007 sold to Kevin Copelson - Northampton/UK

23. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We attended our second Concours after much preparation over the last 12 months for the first event which was the Sydney Harbour Concours d'Elegance, which sadly was a bit of a disappointment, very political & most awards given out were not truly representative of any real judging in the true sense of a concours, more about being given to friends, sponsors friends & cultivating high net worth people. That said we won the 'People's Choice Award' & we were told by one of the workers who was involved in the count of the written votes, it was by a margin of nearly 2 to 1, which was indicative of what people thought of the Sebring.

We attended last weekend our second event, AutoItalia concours & show in Canberra - after driving the 300 kms to the event the day before - which was judged correctly by qualified concours judges. My Sebring was awarded best in class which then went to a final of 8 to be judged again, then onto final 4 where we were successful & awarded 'Best in Show'. The result was very rewarding to get the recognition after all the work we've done on the Sebring to bring it up to true concours condition. One example of that attention to detail was the time consuming replacement of 247 screws/fasteners with the correct straight slot ones & many other small originality issues as well as the many hours of detailing before each event.

Now it is back to the workshop for a service, oil change & a check over before heading off on 2nd May for a week's long tour of approx 2,500km with 12 other classic cars.

A few photos of the car at both events & the trophies :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Froggie and 3500 GT like this.
  24. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Big congrats! Amazing effort.

psw likes this.