92 Mondial T 1 side opening twice at lights on. | FerrariChat

92 Mondial T 1 side opening twice at lights on.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by morefun4us3, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. morefun4us3

morefun4us3 Rookie

Mar 1, 2004
    First I had the left side opening but not closing, no prolbem with the right side. So I replaced the left motor with a used one. Now the the left side works fine but the right side opens, closes, then opens and stays open. They both close ok.
    It seems like the right side is getting open before the left one so the right side motor makes another revolution then stops the second time around when it sees that the left one is open.
    I could be wrong about this I just guessing about this.
    I'm thinking about disconnecting the left one to see if the right one works ok by its self.

What do you think?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Usually when they "wink" it is because of a bad diode on the motor. You can do a search of the archives for threads on this. Try searching for "diode" or "diodes" and also "headlight" or "headlight motor". When you search two words like "headlight motor" make sure you activate "and" in the search, instead of "or". That will narrow the search.

3. morefun4us3

morefun4us3 Rookie

Mar 1, 2004
    So what do you think. Should I unplug the left to see if the right starts working right again?

4. morefun4us3

morefun4us3 Rookie

Mar 1, 2004
    I removed the linkage from the motor and ran it with on load. It turned fast and the right light opened ok (no winking), I hooked up the linkage again to the left motor and the right started winking again.

The fix, if you remove the knob on the top of the motor and remove the top half of the rubber boot there is a small rubber tube comming up from the gear drive area. I shoot some wd 40 in to the tube to free up the old grease in the drive, DONE the motor now turns the same speed as the other and the right and left stop open at the same time with no winking.
    I plain to shoot both sides with spray grease next week or so.