Anyone want a '99 Esprit V8? I want a 996 C2 now... | FerrariChat

Anyone want a '99 Esprit V8? I want a 996 C2 now...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by JamieO, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    After only having my Esprit for a couple months I'm realizing that it's just not the right car for me... I love the looks of it and I love owning it but sadly, I don't enjoy using it as much as I thought I would.

I did see an '02 996 C2 at Steve Harris Imports on ebay this morning that I fell in love with but wouldn't be able to do anything about unless I unload the Esprit.

Incase anyone is interested it's a 1999 metallic yellow/black Esprit V8 w/ yellow piping, both roofs (painted and glass) and only 3k miles.

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford

What price??

3. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    It's at my friends dealership right now for $56,900.

4. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    You should trade it in to Sean Harris at Harris Imports. He is a Lotus dealer ( and a great guy). I would also suggest driving the 996. I know the car you are looking at (I also know Sean as well). I had a 2001 996 Cab. I did not like the car. If you don't like the Lotus (I have a 2003 Esprit right now) you will definately not like the 996. I just bought a 1996 993 Twin Turbo. You should drive one, it is everything that I had hoped the 996 and Lotus would be and more....

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jamie, can you post some pictures...? (Not that i could afford it, unfortunately)...

Also, can you give us some driving impressions and some details on what exactly you didn't enjoy about it... i know the Esprit is a tough car to get in and out of and isn't exactly a GT car for most folks... i'd be interested to hear your pros and cons...

6. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    scott63, I believe I spoke with Sean this morning about the 996 and my car. He said he would get back to me but I haven't heard anything yet. He said he was going to look into a # for my car. I'd be more than willing to trade it in to him for the right $$ but my friend might already have a buyer for it. There were a few people that called him on it after I bought it and some of them are still looking for cars.

I've driven a few 996's and I really like them, actually my brother has a Boxster S and I love that car so in theory a 996 should be bette, right? Plus the car at Harris Imports has all the options that I would pick if I were buying one new...which is pretty rare to find in a pre owned porsche considering how many options they offer.

I love the '96 993 Turbos but right now a low mileage example is going for more than I'm looking to spend. I've seen a few really nice ones in the low $70's. What didn't you like about your 996?

7. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    NNO, I don't have any pictures on this cptr but I do have a few on at work that I can post on Monday (for some reason that doesn't sound right, does it?) Actually, it's listed on my friends website... I think he has around 30 pictures of it on there. Check out the inventory page at www.baystatemotorsports.com

It's not that I don't like the car, I guess it's just more of it's not the right car for me right now... if that makes sense. Yes, getting in and out of it is damn near impossible but that's not a big deal. Once you're in it's not that bad. The car sounds great, it handles like it's on rails.. it doesn't intimidate you like other cars can, you can feel pretty confident driving it. You don't realize how fast it is until you watch the speedo climb into triple digits with ease (and very quickly). The car feels rock solid cruising at around 100mph. Overall the looks of the car alone are worth the price of admission but right now I think I'd be better off with something that I could use more often. The Lotus can be driven as much and as often as you want it's just not a car that I personally would want to put a lot of mileage on, whereas I would feel fine driving a Porsche on more of a day to day basis.

I hope this answered some of your questions and please, let me know what you think of the pics!

-Jamie

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  9. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I think Sean is looking for something in the mid 60's range for his Porsche. I actually drove a Boxster S and I can tell you that the Boxster is a lot morre fun to drive and toss around than the 996. IMHO, the 996 was too heavy and too soft (most Porsche fans liken it to a Lexus...). I would buy a Boxster S, I had a 996 and sold it after a few months (at a big loss...)

I would wait and buy the 993TT. It is a true supercar and there are very few of them around. You will see 996's all the time. BTW, you will be able to blow away most Ferrari's (if not all of them) with the 993TT. You are correct in saying that a nice 993TT will sell in the 70's and potentially in the 80's for a pristine example. I would say to wait a bit until you have the extra $10K or so to get the 993. You won't regret it.

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    ALL of them:) including a stradale, I think, or a 575mm...its just too fast!:) and easily mod-able too, for enzo humbling performance...check out pistonheads.com writeup on a autothority car with 600 horses! ran a 10.5 quarter...