cap and rotor reading | FerrariChat

cap and rotor reading

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pcelenta, Aug 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    begining to change my cap on rotor on my 78 308. Noticed something strange. first...at the coil wire on the 1-4 bank there appeared to be the signs of slight arcing at some time. Upon removing that cap the contacts inside were highly carbonized and the rotor seemed to have some junk under the plastic before the tip I checked it for continuity and it tested ok. When I pulled the 5-8 bank off the cap it had minimal (hardly any) carbonizing at the posts and the rotor looked ok. Is this the sign of a failed cap or a failed rotor. Car was running great and then started running like crap after not driving it for 3 weeks. wires were changed a year ago and have tested fine(yeah, I know, should have change the caps and rotors then too). Car has the crane xr700's.
    regards, Paul

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Paul.

I doubt it is a failed cap.

I would suspect a bad rotor or a bad crane unit putting out too much voltage

Matt

3. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    thanks matt,
    I'm thinking the rotor too. when I compared it to the 5-8 bank rotor, I noticed that the tip was smaller on the 1-4. The 5-8 bank tip was much wider (not like the hammer head QV though).

The crane boxes are receiving the correct signals, though I will have to verify what is going on with the spark...it is possible the 1-4 unit is putting out too much voltage.

More testing!

Regards,
    Paul