Dash board glare with tan leather | FerrariChat

Dash board glare with tan leather

Discussion in '360/430' started by CDM, Dec 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    My favorite interior is the classic combo of tan interior with black carpet. The default dash color is black

I have seen a couple of tan interiors which were ordered with tan dash boards.

My question is: does the tan dash board create a glare.

I seem to recall years ago, Porsche would not provide tan dash boards due to glare issues.

2. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    IMO, yes, as does a lighter 250 rear shelf in 550/575's...red also seems to be a problem - I hated driving a white/red TR with full red dash because I felt like I was looking through an ocean of blood when the sun was in the right [wrong] spot. Some people it doesn't seem to bother as much, I just personally don't like looking 'through' an image reflected up onto the windshield.

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I own a black boxer with a tan leather dash...cannot drive the car when the sun is bright, the reflection is blinding. I even bought a tannish dash cover, and still no good. I think it is a mistake to order a car with a smooth leather dash in white or tan

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What you all are experiencing is called "veiling glare " . It's a function of the windshield angle and backlight angle as well as the color of the Instrument Panel. The steeper the glass is angled the greater the reflection. Ferraris and most sportscars tend to have much "faster" windshield angles than "ma and pa " cars have .It's just the laws of light and how it reflects on adjacent surfaces.

5. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    #5 Just_some_dude, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Your replies have saved me from making a huge mistake. I can't thank you enough.

Thanks Just-some-Dude to taking the bother to post those photos of the tan interior. That was just what I was planning, only with black carpet.

7. G-NYC

G-NYC Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    #7 G-NYC, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While the “glare from a tan dash” question is asked and answered above, I wanted to revisit it because there seems to be some dissension from other fchatters in other posts….

I’m looking at an F430 with all tan dash that is located far away and I have not found something similar nearby for an in person comparison. Many say the glare from a tan dash on a sunny day is unbearable and you cannot see well at all. In addition, I heard Ferrari stopped making light colored dashes or started requiring buyers to sign a waiver when buying, is that true?

See second pic below, it looks like there's some glare, but the angle and distance is not exactly ideal to know for sure.

Dissenters have mentioned the following in defense of tan dash boards:
    1) It’s no problem at all
    2) Polarized sunglasses cure all glare
    3) Glare is no different than other dashes

I like the car and the all tan look, price is still being negotiated, but wanted to ask this expert audience for pros/cons of the tan dash, so I could try to interject some practicality in my ruling on whether a tan dash is OK (I recognize I am at risk of offending BDELP for letting practicality enter the fcar buying decision… kidding)

So, what’s the verdict? Tan dash owners, please speak up….
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login