Difficulty Getting It Up -400i Window that is! | FerrariChat

Difficulty Getting It Up -400i Window that is!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ashman, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The driver's side window on my 1983 400i goes down smoothly with the electric motor, but it won't go up. I have to pull it up manually if I want the window closed.

I suspect that the cable or other mechanism that raises the window needs repair.

Before I start to take off the door panel for a look, can anyone tell me what the basic mechanism inside the door is like, or point me to a diagram and parts list?

I've checked the Ferrari UK parts list, and that section of the car is not on-line yet.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

John

2. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    John,

The window is cable driven as with the 308. I've had a few problems with mine. The window motor on the 400 is surprisingly powerful (much more so than the 308) and I've had problems with it pulling the cable in the clamp that holds the cable to the window. The window then cocks in the frame and jambs when you try to run it up. Solution is to pull the door panel and realign the glass and then tighten the clamp back down again.

Regards,
    Tom

3. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Tom

So the clamp might have loosened up, relieving any tension on the cable in the up direction? Is the cable one continuous loop?

The reason that I think that the cable tension might be gone in the up direction is that, while the motor nudges the window up slightly from the full down position, the window doesn't seem to be mis-aligned or jamming in the frame. Also, "helping" the window up by hand doesn't seem to be causing any resistance from the cable mechanism. It isn't loose, it just seems to have only the weight of the glass holding it back when I lift it.

I guess that there is only one way to find out, and that's to open it up and see what it looks like!

Any tricks or hidden fasteners in removing the door panel?

Thanks for all your help.

John

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That problem is usually the wiring or the window switch itself. Try cleaning the inside connections of both the switch and the electrical connections at the window motor. You should also clean and lubercate the cables and pulleys at that time. That will resolve your problem most of the time.

5. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    John,

A couple of more questions can you hear the motor or see any movement in the window when you try to roll it up? If not then I would agree that it could be electrical.

Was your window running slow before it stopped going up? If slow it could be electrical or the infamous congealed grease that the 308’s commonly have. Mine did not exhibit this symptom. It was fast and powerful before it jammed.

Removing the door panel is pretty straightforward. A series of trim screws around the perimeter of the door. 4 screws holding the speaker grill on. And then a couple of bolts hidden under the arm rest.

I think the cable is continuous although it has been a year since I had it apart and I really don't remember. I remember the biggest pain is finding a location for the window where I could support the window glass and still reach the pinch bolt. I also remember being a little uptight about putting much torque on the pinch bolt since it appears to be bonded directly to the bottom of the glass.

6. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It is quiet and maybe Parkerfe is right about the electrical issue. The window also was "fast" (at least in Ferrari terms) and smooth before the malfunction.

I hope that I may be able to look into it this Sunday and will report on what I find.

Thanks for everything so far.

John

7. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi there, had my trim off recently, you need to do the following.
    1: Remove speaker cover, undo bolt exposed.
    2: Remove interior door handle trim, [one screw and slide trim].
    3: Remove upper part of arm rest, [screw on underside or rest] and then 2 bolts exposed.
    4: Carefully ease cover away from door frame, there are plastic poppers along the front, back and lower edges and they can break!
    5: Lift cover up to disengauge it from the upper edge.
    As it comes away you need to disconnect the electric mirror switch which has a plug type connector, easy! This was on a 1984 400i. Let us know how you get on.