How to remove TR trunk lid grill piece? | FerrariChat

How to remove TR trunk lid grill piece?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would like to remove the little grill piece from the trunk lid (Not the engine bay lid) of my TR for cleaning. This is that little grill just in front of the windshield. Looking at it I don't see anything retaining it, it looks permanent! Is there a way to remove this piece? Thank You in advance for your help.

2. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    If you are talking about the grille under the rear glass, There are four 10mm nuts holding it in place underneath. one on each end and two in the middle split between the area under the glass. once you remove them, lift it up. thats all there is to it.
    CLUE: one is above the alternator. they are hard to see, better to feel for them.

best regards, jim

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank You Dr. Ferrari but no.....I don't mean the grill behind the rear window.....I'm referring to the front trunk lid grill, near the base of the windshield or front "wind screen" as some may call it. I don't see any way to remove it.

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Sorry, I believe the front grille nuts are covered by a plastic shield under the hood held by rivits. If it is as I remember, the rivits are drilled out and the fasteners that hold the grille are under the plastic shield.

take a close look from inside the trunk, there is a possibility with a flex socket, you can remove the nuts without removing the shield.

good luck and best regards, jim

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rats !! I was afraid of something like that! Oh well, I will study it some more...Thank You Again Dr. Ferrari !