Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 94 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Body looks very good with nice door gaps. Once the car is painted is when the really fun part begins!
    Sending you a PM.

Ivan

2. Bradford72

Bradford72 Rookie

Mar 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kevin Warden
    New poster here...I just stumbled upon this forum yesterday while attempting to research a particular Ghibli Spyder my father owned when I was younger. After digging through some boxes, I found the California registration slip from 1981 which (thankfully) has the VIN. A quick google of AM115S1177 tells me the dark brown metallic car that I rode around in as an 8 year old boy has since been painted red and sold in 2014 for $605k by RM Auctions. Does anyone else have any information on this car as far as the history from when my dad sold it (in mid-1981 I believe) through present? Also if anyone knows the present owner's information, I have several photos of what the car looked like back then, as well as the California registration and my dad's personalized "LE MAZ" California license plate. Interestingly, the car had very unique round taillights when my dad owned it (my dad claimed there were only a few Ghiblis with this treatment) but those seem to have been changed out to the more traditional taillights according to the photos I found of the RM auctions lot.

Anyway, the main points of my post are twofold: 1) to learn what has happened to the car in the years since Dad owned it, and 2) to provide what little info and documentation I have to anyone who might be interested.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

3. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Does anybody know the chassis number of the Hödlmeier Spider?

Regards

Wolfi

4. Bradford72

Bradford72 Rookie

Mar 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kevin Warden
  5. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Thank you for the photos. Great documents. In the little village I grew up, somebody had a yellow Ghibli spider. Later painted black with gold rims. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures...

6. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Lovely photos of 1077 ‘in the day’!
    From the chassis plate on their website, the Hodlmayer car looks like 1099.

Best to all.

M

7. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    The Hödlmeier car has automatic transmission AND the same rear lights.

Regards

Wolfi

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Love looking at photos from the late 70's early 80's. That was my era and i too was a "picture taker" at that time.

9. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    MK1044 likes this.
  11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks rather "All Shook up" .... +1 LOL

Tail lights seem to be the same as a Ferrari 365 GT 2+2

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

staatsof likes this.
  12. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    And where do these strange wheels come from?

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I guess it's Ferrari envy then ... :p

Their engines always have that certain resonance ... :p

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lots of places over here, typically TireRack ...

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I see the registration shows Tustin CA . I grew up in Tustin during that same time.
    Did you go to Foothill HS?

16. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

sinkman and MK1044 like this.
  17. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Is it possible to replace a 1969 trunk lid (on a 1969 model) with a 1967 trunk lid? What would be the issues?
    Thanks

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The trunk lid from a 1967 will most likely be the drop down type (as in this photo), which is totally different from the ones used in 1969. Not sure if the actual opening on the car is the same, but I doubt it.

Ivan

19. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I have seen later bootlids on early cars and even an early dropdown bootlid on a later car but that would mean modifying the panel that sits between the lights. I think these cars I mention above were repaired with what panels were available at the time ( sometimes secondhand parts I suspect)
    If you look at my early car you will notice that the rear panel is stepped in along a line level with the bottom of the lamps so that the drop down bootlid will fit flush along the outer side shutline that runs down to the top of the lamps.
    So I am sure that it could be done but it would take a reasonable amount of effort skill and time, all potentially costly too

Julian

20. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
  21. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Julian, thanks for the photos of your trunk lid and the explanation. Totally makes sense that one would not want to make this type of modification. There does not seem to be any plausible explanation.
    Where on the chassis or body parts is the VIN stamped?

22. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Yes, that’s the only car I’ve seen with the later bits like the rounded headlight buckets but the early rear. My assumption is that the whole rear must have been grafted on ( and how well is this done ) The Engine would make this car a real scream thought, that LS7 is an amazing powerplant ( not my personal choice but a great engine all the same )

Julian

Ps on my car the last 2 letters of the chassis number are on the bolted on latch tongue that is on the bootlid itself, not exactly foolproof !!
    A lot of the internal and external trim is stamped or marked with the same 2 letters and it would be fascinating to see what is on this car! Of course it would be possible to graft the front onto the earlier rear too