MONDIAL T 3.4 A/C UPGRADE | FerrariChat

MONDIAL T 3.4 A/C UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by KATIEPEPI, Aug 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    I have had the A/C in my cabrio serviced and it appears to work properly but it still has trouble keeping up with those hot days. Unfortunately, the power of the a/c is one of the things that highlights the age of the car. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade available? Even if it is just a more powerful fan would help a lot.

2. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
  3. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I've found that the unit usually blows quite cold, but as you mention a more powerful fan might help. But that's not the real problem. All air is blown out three little vents in the dash, which are just above waist level, and angled downward rather than up and without any side vents. Without side venting of the air it will never get the cabin comfortable. With the rake of the windshield over the drivers body your basically in a greenhouse. I had clear UV film installed on the windshield which helps some, but not enough to over come the lack of air flow from the a/c. Also, with the radiator at the front the air cooling the engine coolant while driving is forced into the cabin at the foot wells and adds to the problem. It's just not plumbed or sealed properly to cool the passenger compartment.

4. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    Interesting, my T also blows the air through to top side vents but the air flow is rather low. I understand the front cooling issue but I don't find that such a big issue in my car and a more powerful flow might overcome this. The tinting is a good idea and I will look into it. Thanks.

5. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
  6. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    My 87 also has a 2 vents under the dash that blow toward each footwell, though not with much force. You don't have to worry about frostbite or anything, bit its better than nothing. Not sure if the later T's had the same vents or not.

7. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    If there is I do not feel it. Only the two small ones by the windshield

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If I remember correctly, the blue areas in these pics connect to each other. The red signifies the outlets. Look under the dash right above where your shins would be during driving for the lower outlets, they may have flapper valves as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Thankfully the previous owners of my '85 QV Cabrio kept the AC maintained and charged with R-12. It blows ice cold. My car also has the kit installed that changes the angle of the center vents so they blow more straight out rather than down. I believe that kit is from the f-chat member "ronfrohock". When my teenage daughter goes along for a ride she gets cold and I angle the three center vents toward the driver's side. A little bit of air does come out of the two small round vents at each side of the dash. Also there must be a little bit of air aimed at the floor because my daughter says her feet are cold when she's wearing sandals. I think the system is just powerful enough to keep the car cool in the 80's and lower 90's when it has been in the garage prior to taking it out for a drive. If it were sitting out in the sun for hours I don't believe it would cool very quickly with the black cabrio top. But I leave and return to the garage, and it's fine for an hour or so drive. I usually end up dialing the fan speed down a little, and a quirk with my fan speed dial is that it sometimes only works on high.

10. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thanks. I will recheck the car. Maybe something I missed.

11. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thanks. I will check with ronfrohock. Was hoping someone would know of an upgrate for the fan itself.

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yes I was making kits and I could again. The kit did two things:
    First, it changed the direction of the center vent allowing the air to be directed toward your midsection and I also provide new foam that would replace the disintegrated foam that exists in all Mondials at this point. Replacing the foam made a huge difference as prior to replacement, most of the air from the fan got lost behind the dash.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I don’t get much air out of the 2 circular vents on the upper dash. Do you know if that’s normal or is that something I could improve?

14. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    If I could get half the air from the center vent to the circular side dash vents it would make the car much more comfortable, as that gets so much more heat from the sun even with the windows tinted than the center console. So basically my right arm and side is freezing and my left arm and left side (exterior next to the door) is sweltering with no air flow.

There's got to be a better way !

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Add some ducted fans to the upper dash vents? In-line or under-mount. Might need to slow down the speed a bit, otherwise they'll be too noisy

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Funny, that’s exactly what I was picturing in my head to solve this issue. Would need to wire it to the same fan rheostat somehow.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Add one to the center tunnel for the rear vents as well? But if there's a way to upgrade the internal squirrel-cage motor then you might not need any aux. motors. Fix the ducting leaks as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.

Attached Files:

19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks Wade

20. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    I do not know

21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    FWIW, I don't get much air out of the dash top vents either. Get a wedge kit from Ron, makes a huge difference.

I just got my side windows tinted as dark as the law allows, 20% I think. Made a longer drive than usual last week and the AC (R-12, fully charged) couldn't keep up with the Florida sun beaming in my little greenhouse. That seems to have helped a lot, but if the next long drive is still warmer than optimal, I will get the clear UV barrier put on the windshield as well.

R-12 works much better than 134, keep it if you can.

Another thing to note: The factory manual says to check the AC pressure at 2500 RPM, not at idle like most cars. My AC tech was surprised to hear this and last year we charged it at idle, OK but not great. I checked my manual before we serviced it this year and noticed the 2500 RPM spec. At full pressure at 2500 I am getting about 43 degree F air out of the center vents, not bad.
    Alden

22. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Part of the reason we have poor airflow from the center vent is the foam that Ferrari used dries up and turns to dust over time. The result is most of the heated or chilled air gets lost behind the dash, never making it through the vent.

I learned this when I was unhappy with the volume of air coming from the center vent and went on to investigate why. Then I decided to reproduce the foam and make the wedge.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua and Drewbdo like this.
  23. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    I appreciate the insight. Now the question for me is do you have the parts for me and what is the cost? We can discuss without shipping for the moment if you like. Thanks.