Paint on 1985 U.S. 308 exhaust shield. | FerrariChat

Paint on 1985 U.S. 308 exhaust shield.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F1Sal, Aug 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    Was flat black the only color it was painted? I'm redoing mine with powder coat, and there are about ten black options. Also the grills on either side of it riveted to the fenders. Would they be the same color?

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    yes and yes

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I thought it was more of a satin black. I painted mine this spring and used a satin black high temp paint for engine blocks that I got at autozone. It came out beautiful. I would think that flat black would look too much like a gas grille.

Birdman

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The correct finish is satin black not flat black. Most of these covers look flat due to age but when new they were most certainly satin (aka. semi-gloss) black. The grills on the back behind the rear wheels would be the same colour and sheen.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed.

6. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    agreed satin, I did mine with satin rustoleum from lowes and it turned out great.

7. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    Cool! I have my three pieces at a powder coating shop. I picked a satin with a ever so slight wrinkle in it. My friends turned out nice. Hope to get it soon.